CHAPTER 53 - DAVIES

CHAPTER 53 - DAVIES

For what seemed like hours driving, we finally had made it to the place where the doctor was staying. Hannah never got a wink of sleep, instead she watched and waited for some kind of sneak attack. It was strange to see the person who I once knew as a completely different person.

She no longer gave off the tough love aura like before. It was darker and colder. There was hope. I thought about Tracy and what her reaction would be when she sees Hannah again after so many years. Maybe, she would finally accept who she has become...or worse, she'd try to kill her.

After all, she is no ally of ours. She's a Rioter and that is all that is to it. Not a friend anymore. More like an outsider who simply wants to repay Adam by helping us. A part of me wanted her to change but would that even be possible? Hannah has no place to return to, burnt to a crisp. No place is safe anymore... Ryan will follow us until we are all in the grave.

There is no escape.

"Dani?" Adam muttered in his sleep as he grabbed my hand without realising.

Hannah coughed as she opened the car door but didn't step outside.

"Get up and help me here. Come on. We need to get to Davies." She said, looking at me expectantly as I got out of the car.

Adam stirred until I opened his car door, watching him almost fall onto the grass. Smiling, he got up immediately and rubbed his eyes before yawning.

"Alright, you." Adam muttered as he wiped his hands using his dirty jeans.

I looked at them both before kneeling next to Hannah, letting her lean against Adam and me as we picked her up. Hannah cursed under her breath as I felt blood rush out of my shoulder. Pushing her away, I squeezed my shoulder as I breathed in heavily.

"Give her a piggyback, Adam." I said as Hannah before wrinkling her nose in disgust.

Adam looked at Hannah as she wrapped her legs around his waist and lifted her up. I wonder what they acted like before they parted ways and started fighting for different gangs. Were they friends before this? If only I could go back in time to when that photo was taken and stop Hannah from going to Ryan. Stop the fire and stop my father from dying. But that is a fool's errand. Now, I need to save Georgie. Not because I have to, but because I want to.

I shut the car door before locking it using the keys as I followed them towards the abandoned building. This place was familiar but how? I don't remember being here... Wait, of course! I noticed the vines that were growing either side of the building and the overgrown grass and the abundance of trees. This was the place. It was the place where Hoyt was here to kill me. Why on earth was the doctor here? No one was supposed to step foot in this place afterwards.

Something is going on, just what is it? This is the only place we can escape to without being caught in the meantime. No place is safe anymore. Except the Upper District but Ryan still visits. Maybe there never will be an easy way out. How is Georgie? How is everyone else? And this doctor they mention, was he from the Upper District?

Adam handed me the keys to the building before frowning slightly.

"Hannah, you're heavier than you look." He muttered as she pulled his hair.

I sighed as I unlocked the door, listening to them bicker for a little while longer until it all subsided at the sight of the doctor sitting in his chair and spinning around to meet my eyes.

"Well, well. What do we have here? A Lorenez." He muttered under his breath as he got up and pulled off his blue and brown jacket.

My heart raced at the realisation of who he was- my father's friend. The old doctor back home- at the village I mean.

"Davies." Hannah said as he pulled out a chair for her to sit on.

Adam put her down onto the chair before he stood next to me in the dimly lit room. The doctor stood next to his computer screen as he sighed.

"That's right. Davies with some new info on your photograph." Davies muttered.

After that, Davies didn't say a word as Hannah grabbed a rifle and used it as a walking stick to get to the table. She glared at Adam and Davies before facing me.

"Only Dani needs to see these." She said as she shooed them out of the room with the gun in her hand.

I felt my throat dry up as I met her eyes.

"Your legs." I muttered

"I'll survive. It was just a bookshelf for crying out loud." She answered before opening the case and sitting me down.

"Julie told you about your missing photos?" Hannah asked quietly as she pulled on her necklace which had a crucifix, her eyes darkened slightly as she looked away, "How is she? Is she still-"

Sighing, I looked at the case which had a bunch of polaroid pictures with its white side facing up.

"Same old." I muttered, "she's fine."

Hannah straightened her back as she met my eyes.

"Well- anyway. These pictures will remain our secret. If anyone finds out, you're dead."

I raised my eyebrows as she threw all the pictures at my face. I grabbed one and placed it onto the table. It was a picture of a scarf.

"A scarf? Really?" I muttered under my breath.

"No, not that one." She sneered as she pulled it away from me, "that was Daniels."

"Hannah, tell me. Why are you doing this?" I asked as I picked up all the photos and put it back into the case without glancing at any of them.

She sighed as she looked at me.

"I don't want to tell you." She said as she looked away before meeting my eyes again, "it's complicated."

Getting up, I pushed her onto the chair as I kicked the rifle away from her.

"What happened to you?"

"I liked Ryan. That's what happened." She shouted as Adam and the doctor walked in.

I staggered back as I looked at her.

"I ran away with him and then he made me a deal." Hannah said.

"What was that?" I asked.

"He'll give me money to pay for Tracy to be out of jail," She muttered, "If I- I help him to find you."

Adam sighed as he stood next to me.

"Tracy escaped anyway but she didn't know." He said under his breath.

"And now they're after Hannah because she disobeyed orders." Davies muttered.

"But she found me." I said, looking at them before raising my eyebrows.

"They wanted me to kill you too. I couldn't bring myself to it." Hannah muttered before sighing, "now, they want me dead and- Daniel is gone because of me."

Davies looked at us both before smiling as Adam ran his fingers through his hair.

"Let's get you two patched up." He said, "otherwise, you'll get infected."