CHAPTER 67 - FUEL

Start from the beginning

"Well, where do we go from here?" He muttered under his breath before he sighed, "what does this mean for us?"

I looked away as I wrapped my arms around his chest and tapped my hands against him.

"Where do you want this to go?" I asked slowly as I felt the wind brush against my hair.

"Well, there'a a lot going on. What will you do after this is all over?" He said softly before running his fingers through his hair.

"Stay with Georgie." I muttered as I tugged his shirt, "I want to stay with you two and everyone else."

He chuckled as he looked back at me and smiled, showing his teeth. I clenched my chest as I sighed, feeling my heart aching for some reason.

Why do I feel this way? Surely, there was a reason. Deep down, I might have the answer. Maybe, I didn't want to know. Does he feel the same way?.

"Of course, you would." Adam said before turning around to look at the road again and muttering under his breath, "I want to stay with you too."

I smiled as I held onto him a bit tighter. I couldn't stop the smile from spreading on my face.

****

We embraced the silence for what seemed a few hours. The sky was no longer clear, it was now mixtures of hues- oranges, reds and pinks from the sun. Was it afternoon now?

"I'm running out of fuel." Adam muttered as I felt the wind blow against my face before clinging onto Adam a bit tighter, "we'll need to stop soon."

After he said those words, I looked away at the bushes that surrounded either side of the road. How can we run out of fuel so quickly? There was no way that we could make it on time on foot, right?

Downtown is over at the bar, well one of the old towns that we had for the former residents eight years ago. Why would we have to go there of all places? And why would the person who saved me lead me to that place?

Will we get there in time? And will we make it before Ryan attacks the Upper District?

"But how long will it take to get there?" I asked as I ran my fingers through my hair, inhaling Adam's scent.

I heard him sigh as he tightened his grip on the handles before driving slightly to the side as he pulled over to avoid the damage that was on the road.

"Not sure. Maybe an hour or so." Adam muttered under his breath before sighing.

"Oh." I said quietly as I rested my head against his back, taking in all of the nature that was there.

I watched a squirrel go into a tree trunk in the distance before returning to the reality that I was in. This was the truth, this was the reality that I have to face. I cannot escape it anymore. It is inevitable. Always will be- always has been.

"There might be a working petrol station nearby, it's a little run-down but there might be some petrol there." Adam said with a small smile before speeding up a little more.

We stayed quiet for a while, it was relaxing even when we didn't say anything. it was as if we knew exactly what to say to each other or at least, what we meant and felt without ever exchanging words. It was peaceful.

It was much better than the chaos out here. It will all be over soon, won't it?

We turned the corner, following the petrol station sign that was barely visible as rust covered the sign that was once blue. Thankfully, the writing was black which would allow it to be somewhat visible but it didn't help the fact that there was a tree branch in front of the sign.

Maybe Adam had really good eyesight.

"Tell me," I muttered under my breath as my hands tingle after having them wrapped around Adam's torso.

My hands became sweaty as I let go of Adam's chest and held onto the sides of the motorbike. I could still feel the way how I touched his chest. It lingered. this never happened with anyone else. I tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear before sighing.

"What if we're falling for a trap?" I said as I looked away before burying my face in his back.

Adam chuckled quietly as we saw the petrol station in front of us, the main sign was falling off and there was no electricity to fund the lighting. There was no one in sight.

I let out a sigh of relief, no one can interrupt us. Nobody can take Adam from me this way. Hopefully, there's some petrol tanks somewhere.

"Do you think the Rioters got the gasoline from here?" I asked, thinking about the amount of gasoline they had over eight years ago compared to now.

There wasn't much of it left but I'm sure they have their resources. After all, my mother would happily help Ryan without realising what was going on.

Unless of course, she only helps him to get me killed. Who knows? She was never home when I was anway.

Adam pulled over to the petrol pump and took the key out of the motorbike before getting off it and lending me his hand. I took his hand and

"Before we go though." He said softly, "what about us?"

I raised my eyebrows before looking away.

"You feel it don't you." He muttered under his breath as I met his eyes.

"I-" I said as I looked away at the petrol pump.

My heart pounded in my chest, I could practically feel it in my bones. It was like a drumming sensation in my ears. Before I could say anything to show that I felt the same way, he interrupted me.

"Let's focus on this though. They're waiting for us back home." He said as a blush crept up his neck.