Chapter 41

2   :   4   5      A   M

A   S   S   E   M   B   L   Y      H     A    L    L

"Yesterday we came into possession of another Malivore artifact. It was my hope to find a method of containment before it signaled another monster, but given the emergency meeting I've just called, I'm sure you can guess how well that went. But rest assured we are taking every precaution. Sheriff Donovan has been kind enough to open the doors of the Lockwood Mansion to us, so Mr. Williams and Ms. Tig are now in the process of evacuating our students from the lower grades." Dr. S explained. "Why don't we just evacuate the damn artifact?" Kaleb asked him. "We are much more well-equipped than the world at large to handle the arrival of a monster. Once we know what we're dealing with and the problem is contained, then we can reassess what to do with the artifact. If any of you would like to evacuate, please talk to Dorian or Emma. However, exam week will continue as scheduled, wherever you are. I know. I'm sorry. I can't exactly call the state accreditation board and tell them that we're cancelling the exams because of monsters. We'll get through this, I promise. Try and get some rest, okay? Good night." Dr. Saltzman instructed. Everyone got up from their seats and headed back to their rooms. I looked around watching them leave. I stood up and stretched my arms before heading back to my dorm.

4   :   0   0      A   M

I never made it to my room...because I passed out on a sofa in the den. My eyes opened and I found myself back in New Orleans. "Nik?" I heard. I turned around to see Mom. "Mom?" I asked. "Why?" She questioned. "What are you talking about?" I asked confused. She reached a hand up to my face and pulled away. Her hand was covered in blood. My eyes went wide as looked down to her stomach where she was bleeding. she collapsed to the ground. "You--you promised...you promised you wouldn't use the fox." She breathed before eyes went glassy and her head fell to the side. "MOM?!! MOM!!" I shouted. I got to my feet and backed away. I turned around to see bodies everywhere and the city on fire. I found Hope, Dad, Elijah, Rebekah, Marcel, Kol, Freya, Davina, and Keelin...dead. I also spotted Josie, Lizzie, Penelope, Alaric, Rafael, MG, Kaleb, and Landon. In the street. "Where's is it?" I heard someone ask. "What the hell?" I asked spinning around to see a smoky shadow the same height as me. "Where. IS. IT?!" He screamed. "I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!" I yelled fueled with rage at my dead family everywhere. I curled my hands into fists and felt sticky warm substance. I looked down to see blood completely covering my hands and up to my elbows. "WHERE?!!!" It shouted. "I DON'T KNOW!!!" I raged eyes glowing bright violet. My screamed morphed into a roar. The smoky shadow morphed into the Nogitsune for a split second before shifting into an old woman wearing an old black dress and a veil to hide her face. It lunged at me and with black shadowy claws. It slashed across my chest. I let out a scream of pain as I fell to my knees.