Chapter 14

I sat in the assembly room as Dr. Saltzman told the entire student body about the two incidences with the dragon and the gargoyle. When he spoke of the dragon, Hope's eyes seemed to find mine in an instant. I looked down at my hands and could feel the tingling sensation of wanting to use the dark power again. I flexed my fingers as the assembly finished. I walked the hallways and found my sister heading back to her bedroom after having a stare-off with Landon. I walked over to the den entrance and leaned against the entryway. Josie and Lizzie were currently sharing a blanket together on a sofa and talking to each other. I began to feel an odd sensation in my stomach as I stared at Josie. Her smile made my stomach flop...no matter how much I didn't want it to. I tried to take in every detail the two Saltzman twins side profiles. Josie glanced over at me. I felt my cheeks heat up as I looked away. Of course, my eyes went and landed on her sister. Who then decided to see what Josie was looking at. I walked away becoming overwhelmed by emotions that I didn't know how to process. I could feel my heart racing. Why is this happening to me? This has never happened to me. I headed up to my dorm and tried to calm my nerves, taking deep breaths. I sat on the edge of my bed and stared at the floor trying to stop my heart from racing so much. Is it because they caught me staring?....Yeah...that's probably why...Nobody likes the feeling of getting caught staring at someone. That's all this is. Why do I feel so awkward though? These thoughts were running through my mind as I tried to fall asleep. 

I woke up the next morning to knocking at my dorm door. I groaned as I got up and stumbled over to the door. I opened the door, "What?" I asked. "Nik...Dr. Saltzman called an assembly--Wow. New hair trend?" Hope said on the other side of the door. I glared at her. "Hilarious." I said sarcastically walking back into my room. Hope walked inside and closed the door. "How are you feeling?" She asked. "Tired." I said as I stretched. "You know that's not what I meant." She said. I sighed after I yawned. "I know." I answered walking over to my dresser and my eyes landed on the grey henley that my father gave to me. It was originally his. He knew how much I liked that shirt so he gave it to me as a present. I grabbed the shirt and hugged the shirt close to my chest. "Is that dad's?" Hope asked. I nodded. Hope gave me a hug. "I miss him too." She said. "No one should have to grow up without their father or their mother." I croaked as my eyes went teary. "I know." She said. "I always felt like it was my fault that they're gone." I whispered. "That is NOT true. They sacrificed themselves to save us." Hope explained. "It doesn't feel like it." I said. Hope sighed. "I know. But we have to keep moving forward...just like dad told us. Live our life in happiness." She said. I looked down at her. "Easier said than done, sister." I said. "But nevertheless...I shall try." I added wearing a fake smile. Hope squinted her eyes not buying it, crossing her arms. I sighed. "I'll do the best I can, Hope. But this isn't easy for me. I have a darkness in me and I don't have any parents to help me through it like Lizzie and Josie do." I said stretching my fingers. "The rest of our family are scattered across the world living their lives and I'm here struggling to keep this...thing...at bay. Everything was easier when dad was here." I said collapsing onto my bed. Hope sat next to me and put her head on my shoulder. She grabbed my hand and squeezed it tightly. "What's our motto?" She whispered. "Always." I said. "And Forever." Hope finished with a kind smile. She placed a kiss on my cheek before getting up and leaving my room. I looked down at the shirt in my hands and changed into it. "Always and Forever." I said to myself as I looked in the mirror.