Chapter 136 - Battle Plan

"I am sorry, warrior but I think a change of plans are in order," said the Warlord. "We have more allies now."

Jarrakg eyed the unexpected help nervously. The Witch returned his stare coolly whilst the Bello was curiously surveying her surroundings. Her purple tentacles twitched and swayed unconsciously reaching to touch the floor and walls. One long limb was extending to touch the speaking orc when he hastily nodded and stepped back. The Overlord's earlier plan would definitely need revision.

"As you command."

Kalthu conferred with the Overlord for a few seconds, updating his father. Finally he nodded and patted his son on the shoulder approvingly.

The huge orc leader turned his full attention to the waiting Ghost Lords. "The next wave will come soon. I will leave my loyal warriors here to defend my Stronghold. Jarrakg will command in my absence."

The second-in command acknowledged his Overlord's commands with a warrior's salute. "Your command Overlod!"

"Thalasis!"

"Yesss my Lord, I am here."

"You and ..." the Overlord paused and glanced inquiringly at the Witch. Was she willing to fight? Was she still angry at him for allowing her tribe to banish her to the punishment rings and be the Bello's caretaker? Was she willing to atone for her mistakes and fight for him? For the land?

When the Witch bowed her head in acquiesce, shoulders bent forward with her eyes closed, he held his breath, black beady eyes widening in surprise. The sacred pledge of the Zyirs! Had she lost her mind? Was she really going to bond herself forever to him? To the land? The Witch continued, clasping her scaly palms together, twisting them three times in a quick succession. Her lips moved silently in oath. She had pledged her life and loyalty to him! To break it would bring upon unspeakable horrors to herself and all her descendants.

The Overlord let out his breath. She really did it! Now he could trust her with his people's lives and his own.

He spoke again, appreciation colouring his tone, "You ... and your sister, stay within the Stronghold and heal my warriors." He had learned from the visiting healer Ghost Lord. Her ways had been very effective. Head-on battle was not the only way to win a war.

His black eyes flickered a moment at Lazarus in grudging respect before he proceeded to question the Witch. The quiet unassuming Ghost Lord's assessment of her was right. Perhaps he had not totally gone insane from the poisons after all.

"Have you reflected on your past and renounce the usage of forbidden magic?"

"I have my Lord," replied the Witch meekly.

"Summoning demons and creatures not from here to our world ... nothing good comes from it. See the Bello? You have stranded her here in our realm where she is not wanted and where she does not want to be."

"I am truly ssorry Overlord, to you, all our people but mosst of all to the innocent Bello. I wasss young, over confident and ambitiousss. I have learnt my lesssson well."

The Overlord grunted accepting her sincere apology, "But Mallarg, for all his experiences and knowledge has fallen into the same trap. He too has resorted to forbidden magic in summoning the lava hounds. He will not be forgiven because unlike you, he knows what he is doing and is intentionally harming the lands for his own ambitions."

"If you survive this, all will be forgiven and honours will be given to your clan. The Zyirs will know of your valour to me and to the land."

"You will be freed of the monster," he announced.

"Yesss my Lord. Thank you. I will fight alongsside my ssisster asss besst I can," she said gratefully. Her silted eyes flickered over to Lazarus catching his attention. When his lips twitched corners curving upwards in confirmation, she knew that the human had kept his promise to her. He had spoken to the Overlord on her behalf. How he had managed the impossible task of convincing the stubborn orc to give her a chance at redemption was beyond her. Everyone else had failed. The Ghost Lord was powerful indeed.