Chapter 109 - A Field of Corpses Part Two

The Warlord had heard the exchange between Constantine and Valentine. When Constantine attempted to scalp the first cursed orc, the field dweller had died. How were the ghost lords ever going to complete their mission if they couldn't save the lost ones?

"Something is not right!" Kalthu growled as he neatly dispatched two fanged elk-like creatures. It seems even herbivores became carnivorous when they were under the place's curse. "Were you lying to us Witch? How do we save them if they die before we can?"

"That isss for you to figure out Warlord."

"Stop speaking in riddles Witch!" Kalthu bellowed. He raised his battle axe angrily to point it warningly at her.

"Wait!! Warlord!" When the orc ignored him, Lazarus raised his voice, "Kalthu!! Don't harm the Lady. We need her!"

"Lady? What Lady?" he roared. "That is no lady!!"

"No, wait! Seriously!" Lazarus jumped in between them. "We just have to ... to, umm," he tilted his head thinking aloud.

"Think faster Laz! It's getting pretty crowded out there!"

Valentine twirled his sword as he darted out to attack more dwellers. The orcs around them had their hands full. Anya too was busy. She had pounced on one forcing the creature down with her weight and had proceeded to tear at its neck.

"Orcs! I see more orcs!!" yelled Constantine. "Laz! What's the plan?!"

"We ... we have to scalp the cursed ones without killing them? YES! Yes, that's it."

"What?" Kalthu asked throwing Lazarus a disbelieving look as he crushed a skull. He knew his human friends were a bit mad but the ghost lord's statement really made no sense. Attack without killing? Not do your best when facing enemies? That was the very purpose of combat! Didn't he know that? "How do you do that?"

"Quick! I see another one."

"Constantine, use half force. Stun him first! Whatever you do, don't kill him!"

"Ah yes, I get it." The Red Warlock ran to the nearest orc striking him. Red electricity crawled all over the orc. He fell down paralysed with a thud. Constantine was immediately on him.

"There are more! Everyone, get to work The faster we collect the thirty scalps, the faster we can get out of here."

"Thirty?" the Captain asked whipping his head around to confirm the number with his commander. Did he hear the ghost lord correctly?

Kalthu grunted affirmatively. "Thirty." The Warlord hoped the humans knew what they were doing. He was positive the new information did not come from the Witch. She was no help at all other than giving them bad news. Kalthu did not know where the ghost lords got their information from but it was usually right. "Trust them."

"Right." The Captain shouted new instructions to his warriors. He did not really trust the humans but he did trust his Warlord. "Kill everything except our fallen brethren. Tell the humans where. The destroyers will save them."

Valentine's eyebrows shot up. He smirked in amusement at the Captain. The destroyers will save them? How ironic. Did the Captain realise what he had just said?

"Hah!! I got it!!" came Constantine's triumphant voice. "I got the first scalp!! Tell me I am awesome!"

LifeStone Group Quest Phase One : Field of Corpses

1/30 complete.

Lazarus and Valentine turned to look. Constantine was holding up a thick lock of hair with a thin piece of bloody skin still attached. The paralysed orc's face was screwed up in pain. Black ichor was dripping from the exposed flesh on top of his head into his face and down his neck. Muffled whimpering grunts came from him.