Chapter 8 - Isis's Orb Trial Part 2

The only thing he could do was to continue on.

Lazarus turned his attention back to the golden tree in the middle of the structure. It grew from a round hole in the floor. He moved closer to inspect it. The large rose bush was magnificent. Its stem was a rustic greenish bronze brown, it's many branches sporting lighter shades. Its leaves were silvery gold with a tinge of green. Roses of all sizes covered it. The colours of the blooms ranged from a deep gold to a pale creamy yellow. All were beautiful. The tree shimmered and glittered, swaying in a non-existent breeze.

Lazarus reached out to touch a blossom. He caressed its golden velvety softness in appreciation, bending close to inhale the intoxicating scent. A soft sigh came from behind him. He whirled around going into a fighting stance, hunting knife instantly appearing in his hand.

A beautiful maiden was leaning against a pillar. She smiled at him alluringly, golden eyes half closed into slits watching him. She was scantily clad in a pale green dress which hugged her luscious figure. It didn't cover much. Her long yellow hair fell about her shoulders, partially covering her nakedness.

Lazarus lowered his weapon, she was no threat, was she?

"You like the roses, Human?" she murmured, her voice was like the rustling of leaves in the breeze. Her voice was hypnotising.

He stood rooted to the spot unable to move, he was enthralled with her beauty. She went nearer and pulled off his face mask gently.

"You don't need this."

She smelled of the sweetest roses, intoxicating him. The fragrance assaulted his senses. He swayed, his knife clattering to the ground from his nerveless hand unnoticed.

"It is my life, this tree. There is nought I would do for it. Do not harm it and I will not harm you."

"Harm me?"

"Yes my Lord," she whispered in his ear. She was so close, he could feel her cool breath as she spoke.

"You are a nymph ..."

She smiled. "You know of me then."

Lazarus sank slowly to his knees, head bowed. He felt so tired all of a sudden, so weary. All he wanted to do was lay down and sleep.

She knelt with him. Lifting his unresisting chin with a finger, she studied his serious face. His eyes were closed, a crease had appeared between his brows, he was fighting her enchantment! She had to secure the handsome stranger before he broke her spell. She gestured and vines slithered towards Lazarus. The green lines moved, binding the Assassin.

Once she was confident he was safely bound, she spoke again.

"Why have you come here?"

"I... I need a golden rose."

She hissed at him backing away.

"You are like them. Thieves! All of you! You have come to hurt me, cut me up. Take a rose indeed!"

Immediately the vines tightened, cutting mercilessly into his body. The pain jerked him of his stupor. Lazarus' eyes snapped open. He flicked a wrist and a sharp dagger slid into his palm. In the next instant he had cut through the vines and was facing the nymph.

The nymph made a sharp gesture and more vines attacked him. Lazarus dodged, rolling on the ground to retrieve his hunting knife. He slashed at the aggressive plants. Severed green parts flew everywhere. Soon the floor was littered with short feebly wiggling vines.