Chapter 95 - NPC

Yuuki, Rogue Level 35 walked up to Lazarus the NPC and batted her big luminous eyes.

"Konnichiwa, Laz. We meet again."

"Welcome to the Assassin's Path, Yuuki."

"Pssst, c'mon Skye, he won't bite." Yuuki motioned her companion forward.

Skye, Healer Level 31 came forward hesitantly. When she entered the trigger range, Lazarus greeted her.

"Welcome to the Assassin's Path, Skye."

Skye blushed a deep red when she heard her name coming from his lips. "Oh my God, even his voice is so low and sexy."

"Yes, it is, isn't it," Yuuki agreed.

The five Gatekeepers were all popular. Many Players swarmed to the Orb Trials sites each day to meet and talk to the Gatekeepers' NPC stand-ins. Less than half actually went there to attempt the Trials. It was a thrill to interact with the elusive Legends and see them up close. The NPCs appearance changed according to the real Players' current clothing and styles, thus reflecting their actual appearance in real time. Some would go just to see the condition of the NPCs and try guessing what their favourite gatekeepers were up too.

Isis, Priestess Level 78, was usually regal and pristine. The Priestess was well known for her brews, lotions, potions and poisons. She had set up a small 'shop' just outside her City where Players could trade and buy stuff from her.

Kirana was the sexiest of them all. The beautiful Level 80 Berserker loved to dress up and usually showed some serious skin. Needless to say, there were always several groups of male avatars hanging around her NPC.

Girls flocked to Valentine's Trial too. The dashing blond gatekeeper would greet them all mischievously much to his fans delight. He was programmed to flirt with the girls but alluded a sense of camaraderie with the guys, suggesting usually blatantly useless tips to melt girls hearts. The Thief was a favourite with everyone. He was really fun.

Constantine's Trial site was always crowded. The mouth of the Egyptian tomb now had an enlarged clearing to accommodate his increasing daily traffic. The Level 88 Gatekeeper was regarded in awe by many. Most just went to see the famous powerful Red Warlock up close. Not many actually dared to attempt his Trial, those who did died quickly. Rumours had spread that it was impossible. It had too many traps, curses and ancient dangers ... yet Lazarus and Valentine had done it, although they too had died many times. They were still the only ones who had managed it so far.

Their loyal familiars had helped them and they had completed the Trial as a team, maybe that was the key to solving the Red Warlock's puzzle. There was also another Player who accompanied them, an Assassin who how had been included in Lazarus's exclusive circle of friends. Lucky girl, that Nyx.

The two fan girls stood ogling at Lazarus. This was the only chance they had to be so near the Legend. Too bad the NPC only had a standard script and could not offer a real conversation, although the script was expanded and upgraded frequently. Thus, he only had a fraction of the real Gatekeeper's charm and charisma.

The handsome Assassin was dressed in a dark moss green outfit, medieval style. Cobalt coloured runes ran along the edges of his collar, cuffs and belt. His soft black hunting boots were tied tightly with green laces the exact shade of his shirt. Twin blue green leather strips held back Lazarus's long black hair and ran down his broad back.

Lazarus tilted his head and gave a crooked smile. "I am sorry but Lady Yuuki and Lady Skye, you are both not eligible to attempt the Assassin's Path. Please come back again when you have reached Level 50." Having said his peace, the NPC returned to his position and remained silent.