Chapter 52 - Armies

"This is just beautiful." Valentine sighed blissfully he watched the mayhem below. "Especially when it's not my city that's at stake."

"I want to fight!" Jinx announced.

"Not now. We must reduce their numbers or we won't stand a chance," Lazarus cautioned. "The NPCs can be replaced, we will lose XP if we die."

"I know but still I want to be part of it. It's so exciting. A real battle, not like the dungeons and small skirmishes I've done so far."

Isis smiled. "You will get your chance. Even with less four Heroes out there, their armies are still here. Wait for our armies to arrive, then we will join them."

"With or without armies, we are still at a disadvantage. Twenty armies against five?" Nyx said worriedly.

"Six armies, Adam is on his way."

"I forgot, you have two don't you?" Nyx remarked. "Well, I'm not waiting anymore. I want to join in the fun." She retrieved her crossbow and positioned herself beside an archer.

"She has a point." Isis joined her and raised her hands. Within seconds, green lightning formed and shot out at the enemy below joining the volley of arrows from Nyx. Immediately, more bodies flared and 'died' below.

"I'm surrounded by blood thirsty women ..." Lazarus muttered to himself.

Valentine clapped him on the shoulder and laughed, "Now you know how I feel! And by the way, it's bloodthirsty beautiful women." The Thief moved over to the outer wall, "C'mon let's join in the action."

"Go ahead. I've got to monitor my defence."

"O'kay." Valentine cracked his knuckles and took out his bow. "Now for some real fun."

Lazarus shook his head at the nut and returned his attention to his defence. There was more than enough time to get into the midst of battle.

Dimitri was clearly having the time of his life. He was in his element. The worse the odds, the more exhilarating the battle. Surely anyone could understand that. The trick was to stay alive to enjoy the fun. Anyways he had faith in his lord. The young lad had more than proven his worth.

"Calvary! Full Charge!!" the Battle Master hollered on top of his lungs as stragglers of the second battalion made it back through the gates. Those returning moved along the wall to the left, the wounded (Health bar not zerorised) to the Infirmary for a cooling down 'recovery period' and the still able back to the pool. They would be reassigned to new squads. A third group took up positions in the middle of the recently vacated court yard.

The enemy had recovered from the surprise attack. They had reformed ranks and were advancing towards the city. Their Ballistas and Trebuchets were firing continuously at and over the city walls. The walls shook with every impact.

"I hope it holds. I spent a lot of Resources on it," Lazarus grimaced as another boulder hit the outer wall. His eyes followed a few that were lobbed overhead and winced at it landed squarely on his waiting troops. His NPCs exploded in the court yard. The wounded were dragged to the Infirmary. There was nothing they could do for their dead, at least their bodies disappeared and did not clutter up the space.

"Get into positions! Swordsmen up and front! Pikemen to the centre!" Dimitri shouted. There were five hundred in the next batch. At the back Axemen assembled to the last man. The Outrider captain was busy forming ranks. The Raiders were exchanging their nets for spears.

Message from Adam : I'm here My Lord.

Lazarus : Good. Get into the forest North of the city and weed out the enemy there. Attack only those on the list I gave you. Friendly forces will be joining us soon. Don't get yourself killed.