Chapter 120 - Summoning the Bello

Valentine had noticed Lazarus lagging the last hundred meters of the run. At first they were running side by side but he had amazingly pulled ahead. In normal gameplay he could not have done so because his Research on Speed was not at max yet. Lazarus' Speed Research was. The only reason he could pull ahead was if Laz had deactivated his Speed ability or he had intentionally slowed down. Was there a hidden monster they had to fight after all? Should he help fight it? Valentine surveyed the area quickly. He did not spy any hostile NPCs. The Assassin was holding his chest but was still moving. Lazarus had signalled him on. The faster everyone passed the stones the better the chances to complete the main quest. It was every man for himself.

When the coloured stones gave way to soft white sand, Valentine had stumbled and collapsed in fatigue. The gruelling run was exhausting both mentally and physically. Hah! Kalthu was still behind Lazarus and Constantine. He had won his little bet with the Warlord.

Constantine soon crossed the boundary, followed by Kalthu and his Captain when the stones started glowing again. Seconds later Lazarus staggered from the glittering nightmare onto the pure clean sand. He fell onto his knees wheezing and coughing. Valentine was startled to see splatters of red staining the white sand. The Thief forced his aching muscles to work as he pushed himself wearily up. Before he could make his way to the Assassin, Lazarus collapsed shaking and hugging himself. He curled up into a defensive ball shivering violently. His eyes were squeezed shut and he was swallowing convulsively.

Valentine retrieved a thick cloak from his Inventory and bundled Lazarus up. Next he forced fed a bottle of potion through the Assassin's clenched teeth.

"Drink, damn it."

"Will he be alright?" Constantine asked worriedly as he gazed at Lazarus' shaking body. He retrieved a bottle of his own high grade Health potion and tossed it to the Thief.

"I don't know," answered Valentine catching the little vial deftly. He uncorked the top and poured the contents into the Assassin's mouth.

"Hold him down! Don't let him hurt himself!" Valentine yelled when Lazarus started flailing wildly. The Warlord and his Captain held Lazarus down whilst the other two orcs stood guard. The orcs were the only ones strong enough to restrain the crazed Ghost Lord.

"Aaarrgghhh!"

Constantine swallowed grimacing. "It looks so painful ..."

Blood trickled from Lazarus' eyes, nose and mouth. He trashed on the ground trying to get away from the orcs but he was no match for them in his weakened condition. After some time and yet another bottle of potion the Assassin's convulsions subsided. He calmed down and his breathing slowed. Moments later, he opened his red stained silver eyes.

"Val?" he croaked.

"Hey, we are all here."

Constantine moved nearer. "Do you think you can walk?"

Lazarus shook his head slowly. "I can hardly feel my legs." He blinked, "I see two of you ... and the world is a blurry red."

"We have to keep moving, yes? If we stay here, Laz will only get worse and die. We need the Bello and the Lifestone."

"The Bello issss in the water," volunteered the Witch indicating a clear lake. The large serene lake was in the middle, surrounded by the white beach. "We musst get nearer the water before the dark one can resst. It isss too dangerousss to sstay here." She looked around nervously as if expecting something to ambush them at any time. "We must go ssoon."

"C'mon," Valentine said as he hauled his friend to his feet.

Lazarus stood swaying unsteadily for a moment before taking a step. Valentine lurched forward to catch the Hero in time before he fell bodily to the ground. "Hey!!" the blond Ghost Lord yelled in fright. What the hell? Laz couldn't even walk now. He had lost control of his limbs and was leaning heavily onto the Thief. The Assassin was experiencing extreme lethargy and numbness to the point of paralysis.