Chapter 41 - Constantine's Orb Trial Part 5

Lazarus groaned weakly. "Nyx ...?"

"Yes, yes, I'm here." Tears were streaming down her cheeks.

"K-kill me."

Her eyes opened wide. "What? No! You still have more than fifty per cent health."

"P-please, kill me. I can't take this. We'll try again."

She was crying helplessly now, unable to move. "No-ooo," she sobbed in despair. She knew the practical logic to what Lazarus was asking her to do but emotions clogged her mind and stilled her hand. Her heart was breaking. She couldn't kill him, she couldn't kill Lazarus.

The gatekeeper moaned in agony. He tried again. He clenched his jaw and tried to persuade her. "Hurry. You don't understand. It hurts so bad." If only she would kill him now. The pain was incredible. Even talking was a chore. Why wouldn't she just end it quickly?

"I can't kill you. I CAN'T!!" she whispered horrified. "I'm sorry!!"

He shuddered in pain and he clutched at his bleeding chest. Anya's long sharp claws had shredded his shirt and mauled his flesh underneath. His whole front was soaked in blood. His left shoulder was a mangled mess of torn flesh and muscle.

Lazarus, Health 57 per cent.

"Wait, wait," Nyx fumbled desperately taking out a bottle of healing potion. "You don't have to die. I'll save you. Here, drink this."

He felt a cool liquid being poured into his parched mouth. He felt better but not much. She only had the standard potion which did nothing much for his poisoned body.

Lazarus, Health 60 per cent.

He wanted to laugh in frustration but only a painful cough came out. Still, she was trying her best. She did not know what playing virtual in Orc Wars meant. She was playing 2D.

He turned his head just in time to see a tawny blur coming at him. Instinct made him roll, grabbing Nyx and pulling her out of the way. As he whirled around to face the possessed Tania, Valentine's sword came slashing down onto his familiar. The golden familiar exploded snarling. Her hot blood splattered on him and her chosen. Valentine face was wet with tears but the grip on his sword was firm.

"You okay Laz?"

"I'm so sorry Val," the assassin gasped.

"S'okay, she will understand. I hope," he said brokenly.

A sudden shift of Valentine's head was all the warning Lazarus needed. Danger! His long hunting knife slashed Nyx's exposed jugular as he spun around gracefully. His deadly aim was true. In one swift motion, she died with a surprised look on her face, her glowing red eyes fading before her avatar combusted into bright pixels.

Death Blow Experience Points deducted from :-

Nyx, Assassin Level 58, minus 250,000 XP

Death Blow Experience Points awarded to :-

Lazarus, Assassin Level 79, plus 250,000 XP

The shade had taken over Nyx after being robbed of Tania's body by Valentine.

"Get ready, I'm next. Sorry," was all Valentine managed before the furious ghost dove into the Thief. Valentine stiffened as he tried to hold off the ghost but the possession was too sudden and complete. His was the only body left available. The Priestess couldn't possess Lazarus as long as he had that blasted scarab.