Chapter 32 - An Eye for an Eye

The four Heroes gathered behind their leader, the Healer Althea. She was the highest level in their group and she had played in the game before. With her help, they had levelled up quickly.

The Healer was dressed in white and pastel green, giving her an air of sweet innocence. She was a good leader, guiding them through their initial quests quickly so that they could move on to the fun stuff.

"Oh my God, isn't that Lazarus the Gatekeeper?" someone said in awe.

"Where?"

"Over there, by the exit of that dungeon."

"Oh! He has just completed that dungeon!"

"He is so handsome." Another in her group sighed dreamily, not knowing Althea's previous identity. The Healer's eyes narrowed, glaring at the Knight before looking for the Gatekeeper.

To be honest, she did miss him and their time together. Maybe she should give him another chance to explain. He had better come up with a better explanation though. No more lame excuses!! She had given him more than enough time to think of one.

Althea inhaled sharply when she spotted him. He was carrying someone ... a girl! A beautiful sexy girl! Sudden hatred and jealousy exploded in her chest. The hot burning anger filled her heart. He who avoided all physical contact, who could barely hold her hand or hug her, was holding another girl tenderly in his arms.

She stepped up boldly to him, "It's been a long time, my Lord Lazarus."

Lazarus turned around, his startled silver eyes widening slightly.

Gotcha, she thought vehemently. Try explaining this one, you liar.

"It seems you have recovered from your affliction," she hissed, her eyes flicking to the beautiful assassin in his arms.

He stiffened at the insinuation but recovered his composure almost immediately. He clenched his jaw and carefully laid the immobilized Nyx on the ground.

"Guard her until she recovers," he muttered to Anya. The white wolf moved closer to Nyx, protectively. She faced the group of strangers, wary and alert.

Only then did Lazarus give his full attention to the affronted Healer.

"Althea," he acknowledge her, inclining his head slightly.

His voice was calm, neutral, giving away nothing. He had clamped down on his feelings, getting a tight control on his emotions during the few seconds when he had settled Nyx. He glanced at Althea's group behind her and returned his gaze back to her. They stepped back involuntarily. He was still very much in battle mode.

Althea was surprised. She had expected him to be embarrassed at being caught red handed with another girl and immediately started apologising to her. She had been ready for more excuses and to blast him for lying to her. Instead, he was regarding her coolly, letting her take the lead in this encounter. How it played out depended on her.

She narrowed her eyes, he owed her an explanation, NOW!!

"Who is she?"

"A friend."

"Are you running dungeons with her?"

"Yeah."

His short curt answers irritated her, making her angrier. He was obviously telling the truth this time but why didn't he give her proper answers. She wanted to know who that girl was and what she was doing hanging around him. Okay, she would give him one last chance. Maybe then they could get back together.