Chapter 39 - Constantine's Orb Trial Part 3

Lazarus re-spawned in his grave. He sat up in the dirt groaning. Immediately a white furry head appeared over the edge of the grave. Anya gave a small whine and pushed a neatly folded blanket into the open hole onto him. She had re-spawned near his grave and waited for him.

The assassin wrapped it gratefully around him, covering up his nakedness and warming up his chilled body. Dying in intense heat and re-spawning in intense cold. Simtrixx had a sadistic sense of humour.

"Anya. Thank you," Lazarus said weakly.

"My Lord," a matured female voice called him.

He raised his weary head. "Keeper, you're here."

She bent down and extended a helping hand.

"Give me a minute. I need to catch my breath."

Anya jumped in and curled around him. He sat huddled against the warm wolf until he felt strong enough to climb out of the neat rectangle shaped hole in the ground.

"Here lad, take my hand."

His Battle Master had also materialised. Lazarus grabbed his hand and hauled himself up.

"I told you he would get himself killed again. It was a good idea to open up his grave. Better than suffocating and trying to crawl up through heavy dirt in a weaken state." The Keeper was tsk, tsk-ing at him in motherly fashion.

"Thanks," he said chagrined.

"You must be more careful in the future lad. The lovely lady here worries about you."

"Whose idea was it? To leave it open, I mean."

"It was the Keeper's. She said it would be more practical since you went on that dying spree that time." Dimitri jerked his head in the Keeper's direction and grinned slyly, "She didn't want to keep ruining her clothes digging you up."

"I certainly did not say such a blasphemous thing!" She protested. "Don't listen to him my Lord."

"You thought it." The Battle Master continued teasing the Keeper mercilessly.

Dying spree? Oh, that time when he kept dying at Valentine's trial ... and that time when Althea killed him. He had re-spawned and lain there in despair, his heart hurting, unable to move until Dimitri had bundled him up.

He shook himself. Get a grip of yourself and focus. She had moved on and he had to too. He must. They helped him up to his chambers and got him settled. Anya padded after them silently. She was recovering too. Cleaned and dressed, he messaged Valentine.

Lazarus : You okay?

Valentine : No, I'm not okay. That was crazy dying like that. Allegra cursed me for dying and making her panic. She had to dig me up and I had to set up my City Shield again.

Lazarus : LOL, I forgot you barely die in here.

Valentine : Want to try again?

Lazarus had to smile at his friend's enthusiasm. Wasn't he just complaining about dying?

Lazarus: No, not now. I want to do some research first. I'm logging out.

Valentine : Okay. I'm playing some more.

The assassin nodded to himself. Valentine was trying to level up so that he could cross the Portal too. Time was short. He sent a message to Nyx.

Lazarus : I'm logging out. Valentine is still playing.

Nyx : Okay. Thanks but I'm logging out too. My throat hurts from all that screaming. If I have nightmares about the walking dead tonight, it's all your fault!