Chapter 126 - Isis

The Captain hesitated before opening the great doors to the Infirmary.

"Captain?" Isis raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

"There are many terribly injured and even maimed. Most are dying. It is not a sight for a Ghost Lord."

"It is alright. I will heal as many as I can."

Still, the Captain did not move. He heaved letting out a breath as he made a difficult decision. He might forfeit his life for his imprudence but he had to try. He had to ask the Ghost Lord now or he would regret it forever. This was his only chance.

"My Lady Ghost Lord, if I may be so bold, could I ask for a boon?"

"Only if it is in my power and does not go against my convictions, orc," Isis' voice turned steely. He was wasting time. She had only fifteen minutes until she would be summarily expelled from the orc realm back into the human realm. Valkyrie Valour only lasted so long with each evocation.

"Could you ... could you save my mate? I saw her when I brought the Holy Seer down here. She is dying Priestess, she is half burnt and in terrible pain," the usually stoic orc choked with emotion.

The Captain's mate? Isis blinked then nodded decisively. "I will do my best but Thalasis comes first. Show me."

"Yes Ghost Lord. Thank you," the Captain said gruffly and opened the doors.

Immediately a strong stench of a mix of herbs, pungent ointment, foul ichor and burnt flesh wafted out of the room. Isis gagged and swallowed convulsively before putting on a brave face. Get a grip! She was a final year nursing student! An intern and one of the best in her batch too! She could deal with this. Just imagine it as on the job training, she told herself. You can do it, she gulped again and shuddered. Ughh!

The horrible sight that greeted her was seared into her brain forever. There were so many wounded that bodies were packed against each other. The huge injured orcs barely had enough space to lie down. All the beds, bunks and cots were full. Those freshly injured were simply lying or sitting on the floor, some leaning against walls, anywhere where there was a bit of space. Robed creatures weaved their way among the injured tending to them; Thalasis' acolytes. There was barely enough room to walk.

The atmosphere in the Infirmary was sombre. Most of the injured orcs knew they would not make it through the night but they were considered the lucky ones. A fate worse than death awaited the warriors who did survive, a maimed life without the ability to fight in honour for the Overlord. They would live a meaningless hopeless existence.

The Captain guided her past the groaning orcs to the Holy Seer's bed. Her corner was partitioned off with hastily erected drapes. He drew back the curtains to reveal the writhing Seer. Isis had heard what happened. Constantine had given her a brief outline of the clash of magics. He had also felt the backlash because Thalasis' spell had been built on his. Fortunately the Red Warlock had his special high grade Health potions for magical injuries. He had given her one but it seems that it did nothing for the Seer's health. Perhaps her rare species was resistant to normal potions.

The Seer looked normal except for the grimace on her reptilian features. Her clawed hands gripped and shredded the bedclothes as she tried to contain her internal pain.

"Close the curtains. It would not do for the warriors to see their Holy Seer in such pain. It would demoralise them even more."

"Yes, Ghost Lord," the Captain said respectfully. He stepped into the enclosed space carefully drawing the heavy cloth behind him.

Isis searched her Inventory. She needed a special brew. Constantine had described the horrible pain he had endured briefly before he devoured his potion. The Seer had magical internal injuries, her insides smouldering slowly as she burned from the inside. The Necromancer's sorcery was strong indeed.