Chapter 133 - Antidote

Start from the beginning

The Witch signalled urgently. They had to wait for the Annazzosh induced fever to peak. If the dark one drank the potion too soon, it would only be partially effective. Then when the time was right, there would not be enough of the antidote to counter the Bello's unique poison. They could not make more. Even if they could gather the other ingredients again, there was only one Lifestone.

The Bello moved at lightning speed to catch the agitated gate keeper with a tentacle.

"Hey! Put me down!"

"Bello," said the Bello reasonable. "Bello, bel-lo?"

"I don't know what you are saying but whatever it is, I don't agree! You are in league with the Witch! Laz needs the antidote NOW!" Valentine struggled in vain. "KALTHU!!" he bellowed.

"Pleasse Ghosst Lord. We musst wait. If the dark one drinksss the brew too ssoon ..."

Suddenly, Lazarus let out a loud despairing moan. His silver eyes were wide open and staring blankly ahead. What he saw was anyone's guess.

Everyone froze.

"Laz?" Valentine called out. What was wrong? He had a sudden urge to check Laz's health status once more. Did it drop again?

Before the Thief could start struggling out of the Bello's clutches, Lazarus started spasming violently. His body convulsed, contorting painfully as his muscles strained and pulled. His teeth clenched, grinding together painfully. Thankfully he did not bite his tongue.

"Aarrrgghhh! Ughh, G-gods!!" spluttered Lazarus. All he could do was endure the trial the best he could, for this was what it was, his fevered brain told him. The orc realm was just a big elaborate sadistic orc trial. It is not real, it will be over soon. It is just in his head. It is not real!!

"Let me go! He is having a seizure!" yelled Valentine. "I'm warning you Bello, if Laz dies now I will destroy all of you!! Every single one of you!! I'm not kidding!"

The dark one's seizure was what the Witch was waiting for. It signalled the climax of the poisons' battle in the dark one's body.

"Now! Warlord, the antidote now! The Annazzzzossh's fever hasss peaked."

The Bello released Valentine to reach for Lazarus. Her human needed her.

Immediately, Valentine took charge.

"You! Turn him onto his side. Make sure he can breathe!" the Thief barked authoritatively at the Bello.

"The rest of you, back off ..." Valentine lowered his voice warningly, "... right now." He was not going to take no for an answer. The high level Thief had had enough of the dithering NPCs.

"Bello!! What are you waiting for?!"

"Bello?" she asked startled.

"HELP LAZ NOW!" the frantic Ghost Lord roared making the Bello wiggle her tentacles in anxiety. The big bad poisonous final Boss knew better than to disobey when a Ghost Lord was furious, didn't Lazarus cut her down when he was angry earlier? This human had a long shiny sharp knife too. It hung on his hip and she was positive he knew how to use it. She did not want to be cut up again.

By the time the Bello had rolled Lazarus onto his side securing him gently in position, Kalthu had brought over the cooling brew.

"Bello," she said softly. She cushioned the Assassin's head against her soft body. If only his body would loosen up, the poor human was still rigid, his muscles straining in seizure.

"Arghh, ughh ..." Lazarus groaned in agony as his body twitched again. He jerked and bucked uncontrollably as his muscles locked and unlocked painfully. His hands grabbed whatever he could. He squeezed the purple tentacles cradling him and pressed his head hard against the monster supporting him.