It's Only A Word - Part Six

Start from the beginning

"You're more important, and you know that," your mom pursed her lips, stopping your protests and looking you in the eyes, waiting for you to continue.

Letting out a soft sigh, you spoke. "I met him a while ago, before...Peter?" You cringed, closing your eyes. "He was just like everyone else, he wanted me, his soulmate, but he didn't know about me, about what I wanted. I just left.

Then I met Peter. Well, technically, I already knew him, but I really met him. And... and he turned out to be everything I ever wanted." You paused, glancing at your mother, who was staring at you with both concerned and confused expressions. "I really fell for him, Mom, at least, that's what I thought."

"What do you mean?" She shook her head. "Did Peter meet his soulmate? Is that what's going on?"

"No, Mom, I'm Peter's soulmate." You explained.

"How?" You could sense the confusion rolling off of her.

"It's really complicated to explain, but when I met him, I didn't know it was him. I didn't know it was Peter, is what I'm trying to say. He was sort of, disguised."

"Wait," Your mom paused, and you turned your head to look at her. "Correct me if I'm wrong, by all means, but from what you've said, you met your soulmate— Peter, but didn't know it was him. Peter knew it was you, and intentionally kept that particular knowledge from you the entire time you've worked together in school, and gone out after?"

You blinked. "Y-yeah." You nodded your head. "And I was so dumb, not seeing the truth. He gave himself away so many times, but I never saw it." Of course you never saw it. You didn't want Peter to be Spider-Man, you wanted him to be the boy you've wanted since you could understand and grasp the entire concept of soulmates; a person who defied the unwritten rule of love at first sight with the one person you were 'meant to be' with. "Peter's my soulmate."

"You just found out, didn't you." Her question was more of a statement, you nod of agreement just proving her fact to be right. Your mother frowned again, this time, deeper. You knew this had to be a lot to hear, and you were glad she wasn't overreacting.

"I left him there again. At the park." You shook your head. "I-I'm angry, but I'm also, what's the word?"

"Conflicted." She finished for you. "That day you were researching soulmates? It was never for school, was it? You and Peter are connected, aren't you?"

"Emotionally," you simply answered back. "We can feel each other's emotions. That was the day i first talked to him, the day these words turned gold. I couldn't figure out why I felt so- so sad, so I looked it up."

"That was over a month ago, Y/N," she began in an slightly annoyed voice, but caught her tone and sighed.

"I wanted- I wanted to believe that I could find love that wasn't my soulmate, and Peter showed me that. So I latched on to him, because I could feel myself falling, and he seemed to be the same way. We-we kissed, Mom, I really thought he was the answer I've been waiting for all of my life, and I truly thought he felt the same. I was happy."

"Y/N—"

"Now everything I thought was a lie." You swallowed hard, your anger rising again. "I don't even know if anything I feel- felt? For Peter is true, because I could've just as easily been feeling how he felt for me. I-I—"

"Y/N, stop." Your mother ordered, softly, but firmly. "You're lucky it's me you're talking to, and not your father, because he wouldn't have a clue." She smiled sympathetically. "I think you need to calm down, take a few breathes, and I'll help you think this over. I know this is a lot for you, and it's overwhelming. Even more so if you have all of Peter's emotions in there as well, so, can you do that for me?" You paused before nodding your head, taking a large breath and exhaling. And then another. And another. "Good. Now, is there anything else you want to tell me before I offer my advice?" She asked softly.