Chapter 75

There's a buzzing beneath my breast. I stir and finally get my phone when the call doesn't let up. I can hear Olive outside, talking to someone. I immediately think it's Nancy or maybe even Mackenzie. But then Danatha bursts through the door with tears cascading down her temples.

"Danny?"

I'm on my feet as soon as I see her stricken face.

"We're over

"We're over. It's over, Kay. We broke up."

I exhale heavily, shaking my head in equal disbelief and sympathy. I didn't think I could display any emotion today after crying so much yesterday, but with the news of Danatha and JD's breakup, my eyes water.

I rush to her side, slamming the door closed. Her sobs break my heart. I lead her to my bed and wrap both of us in my duvet and my blanket. We need each other today.

The pain I feel for being left behind by my first love is promptly surpassed by the deep empathy I have for my poor best friend, crying in my arms after ending a four-year relationship with a guy she still loves very much. No matter her feelings for Jude; JD will always be her first love in a way that Aden isn't for me.

Unlike Aden, JD gave all his time to Danatha for the duration of their relationship. And now it's all over so suddenly.

I fall asleep from exhaustion. The events of today have been beyond taxing. Even though Danatha is still crying silently, my mind goes blank and my vision goes completely dark.

I swim in the darkness, revelling in it

I swim in the darkness, revelling in it. It's entirely peaceful.

When I hear a soft knock, I shift my body to be able to look at who is coming through the door. It's only Nancy. She tells me to not give any of my appliances to Olive because she's grounded. I'm sure an explanation as to why is in there somewhere but I block it out by hugging Danatha's shoulders and closing my eyes.

I think I'm to have peace when Nancy leaves but not long after, Olive bursts through the door.

"Cakes, please lend me your tablet. I need it to do homework."