Chapter 28

"Excuse me?! I'm done. If you think that's the kind of person I am, then there is no fucking way you were ever my best friend."

"I know what people say; I know what I've heard. I'm sure there's truth to it if everyone else sees it."

"You really think other people know our friendship better than we do? You know what? Maybe you do belong with Jude. You're just as oblivious when it comes to your true value. You're just as insecure!"

"McKay!"

"You crossed that line first!"

"Uncross it, now!"

"No!" I huff, indignant.

Danatha sighs, seemingly over the drama.

"Why don't you say what you mean then?"

"What's wrong?" I acquiesce.

She sits, tired and frustrated.

"I'm ..." She shakes her head. "I'm not who I thought I was."

"You kissed him?!"

"It doesn't matter. Whether I kissed him or not, I have feelings for Llanelli."

"A bad person wouldn't care."

"I was thinking of a more age-appropriate categorisation." She rolls her eyes.

"Okay, you're a principled person; he is not."

"That's the issue; we both aren't. Maybe that's why I feel so good around him. Or maybe I feel so good because I know he would cross lines that I would never dare.

"I don't know, Kay. Sometimes he looks at me like he's ready to take me to dangerous peaks." She covers her face in shame. "Peaks I would never dream of taking myself to."

"I'll forgive you for your age, but seriously; the bad boy trope?"

Danatha laughs.

"I know. I'm a mess. But then again, it is a trope for a reason."

"You're purposefully casting yourself in the role of victim."

"Blame the fairy-tale books."

"They do make it sound appealing, don't they?" I scrunch up my nose in mirth.

"Oh, to be swept off my air-Nikes is my biggest dream."

We both giggle but I soon quieten.

"Danatha, I hope you know I don't think I'm better than you. Your skin has nothing to do with it. You've always been wiser and more poised than I ever was.

"The truth is I don't know what I would do if I were you. I'm exhausted after a few months when you've been with JD for years. If I were in your situation, I would probably be crying in a bathroom somewhere. I still don't know how you're laughing."