Chapter 23

At home, I'm all but surprised to find a chicken coup in the backyard. Olive comes out holding a container of water. I swear, she's the craziest little girl I've ever encountered. Chickens? Really?

I head in and start studying as a punishment for not revising for the test yesterday

I head in and start studying as a punishment for not revising for the test yesterday. When Danatha calls about an hour later, I take my phone and throw myself on the bed, sniffing Fondue. She asks me to come hang out at the park with her and JD.

When I get there, they're busy talking too damn much, affording me the opportunity to gobble down more than my fair share of their snacks

When I get there, they're busy talking too damn much, affording me the opportunity to gobble down more than my fair share of their snacks. Soon enough though, my phone starts ringing. It's Aden.

"I fantasized about you for most of my afternoon." I say, sitting against a tree, after reassuring him that I wasn't ill yesterday.

"Uh-huh."

His voice seems so quiet and distant.

"You were there. You lived here in Cleveland with me. I was showing off my hot boyfriend to my other friends at school. We were walking around my neighbourhood holding hands, then sitting here, under my favourite sycamore tree in the park.

"I envy Danatha and JD sometimes. I feel weird saying it, but it's true."

I look over at them. Danatha is lying on JD's lap and laughing at something he's saying. The beautiful blooms fly all around them, pulled by the wind. They look so happy - so together.

"Anyway, I snuck you into my room and we made out during my study breaks. You even met Olive by mistake."

"McKay."

"I'm having a bad day." I cut, ignoring how tired he sounds. I'm tired too. "Can't you just listen to me, please?

"You met Olive by mistake and my mother wondered about the male cologne on my bedspread when she came in. We ate donuts at the café on my street and bought ice-cream from one of the passing trucks, then got some pizza near Sybil's place."

"Look, I'm not having a great day either and this is the last thing I want to hear. I wanted to hear your voice and laugh at your corny jokes, so my day would brighten; not hear how much I disappoint you."