Chapter 38

Aden is standing outside my balcony. He's coming to ask me to come back to him. I can barely contain myself.

He signals at the door downstairs, so I rush down in the hotel robe. But his face is so solemn when I get there, that my giddiness dissipates. This is going to be a serious talk. But I'm ready to forgive him for how he's been treating me - especially now that he's making the effort to apologize.

The door slides open and he comes up the few stairs between us.

"Thank you." He nods, passing right by me.

I look after him, dazed. When he stops and turns back, my heart is in my throat.

"I didn't mean to tell you what to do."

"It's okay."

"And just so you know, I did defend you. But I can't deny what was said. I'm sorry it happened in the first place. I shouldn't have told them about you."

"Well, if you hadn't, Jake would've never heard about me. I'd never have gone to Detroit."

"Well, I'm still sorry

"Well, I'm still sorry."

"I am too."

And just like that - he's gone. I hear his door slam and blink the tears off my lashes as I make my way back up to my room. I should have known to not expect much. Whatever's happening in his head has nothing to do with me. He made that very clear this afternoon.

I should forget that he's here and pretend like nothing is happening. At least he apologized for his highhandedness earlier. The tears dry up soon enough and I stop sniffling when Danatha arrives and slips into bed.

I spend a lot of time thinking about Aden and how he's sleeping right next door. I remember the night we spent in each other's arms back in Cleveland and immediately want to cry. It's not fair. We're so close and I can't be near him? No.

I move off my bed, making sure to not wake Danatha, and head into the hallway.

Checking that the door is open, I turn the handle and peek through the gap I created. Total inactivity pervades the room. He's asleep. He can sleep. Wow. Good for him. I step out, shutting the door and sneaking away from it. The devastation weighs me down though, locking my feet in the hallway.