Chapter 45

Last week, I was seventeen. This week I am eighteen. From then until now, I've been disappointed instead of happy; lethargic instead of excited. I have my reasons for that - starting with Aden Arrington.

For my birthday, he gave me the most awful present - a lonely passing of said birthday far from my family and friends - the same family and friends I had ditched to go meet him in New York.

We had agreed to meet at the bus station there at nine p.m. on the eve of my birthday. I ran out from school on Friday to pack my things and confirm my ticket. The rush was overpowering.

I spent the beginning of the trip smiling from ear to ear. Despite my previous frustrations, I was still beyond excited to see him. Then my phone pinged. Aden texted me with the most cryptic message.

Aiden: I'm busted.

I thought it was a joke. So, I replied playfully.

Me: What? Do you have another surprise for me?

I don't know what happened for the next two hours, but Aden didn't reply. I was more than happy to wait for his answer, that is, until it came.

Aiden: My mom came to New York. You can't come here, and I can't leave.

Me: WHY?!!

Aiden: I was allowed weekends off to see my family, so now that my mother is here, I have no reason to leave.

I was ready to combust. Aden was ditching me - on the very eve of my birthday!

Me: I left Cleveland to come to you and now, what the hell am I meant to do?

Aiden: Get off on the next stop and catch a bus back

I simmered in rage, but ultimately, I didn't see another solution to my problem. I got off in Erie and went straight to the travelling agency. It was too late at night, so of course, they were closed. They would only open the next morning. That's when the tears arrived.

I was going to spend the night alone

I searched and the only place with space was a motel far from the main road. I cried myself to sleep and woke up with swollen eyes and a bucket full of resentment.

When I got home, I told everyone, including Olive, to leave me alone. I felt so ridiculous for believing Aden's lies. He had probably stayed in New York to go out with Brighid again, after realising that he had missed her. Why else would he use his mother as an excuse? And I was the fool who chose to ignore all the red flags I saw online.

It was only four days ago that Aden finally decided to call, after I got back from school at noon.

"Princess, I am so sorry."

"For cheating on me again? Why don't we call it a day already?"