Chapter 73

To my shame, I've already forgiven him. That rose is what he asked of me, it's what he promised me. He never promised more than short and sweet.

I know he hasn't changed in the way that I would have liked, but he's not mine to change. He's not mine to keep. He's not mine to govern. One day he'll grow up, but independent of me. He won't change because of love. I'm the only one who has.

Still tearful, I look up at Aden covered in the silver hue as well, remembering the night of the carnival, the night at the crates, the night of the virtual room.

All moonlit - all not meant to last - all meant to mark an important time that maybe shouldn't have been extended beyond its limit - just like tonight. I shouldn't go because this is the end for us.

This relationship was for me, not for him. This relationship was for me to fall in love and I did that.

I am more in love than ever before. If I leave this cab, it will be to spend the night in Aden's arms, to feel him inside of me, to feel his love. I don't want to do anything else. I can always leave him tomorrow, when I've taken all I want to take, when I'll be ready to leave and so will he.

He won't call me again or come to Cleveland to see me. We'll be over in a peaceful manner. That's the only way I'll be able to move on. Not by walking out on him today. I clutch his shirt once I've made my decision.

I am giving myself to this broken human being tonight, because I love him. He made mistakes, but so have I. We have stayed together regardless. That's all that matters for now.

We walk out and find the lobby. Skirting by the peripheries, we get to our room without being seen. I walk in and embrace Aden.

"I'm sorry." He mutters into my hair.
"I don't want to talk about it."

"But-"

"Aden, this is our last night."

I pull him closer and look up at his gorgeous face, feeling the loss already. He is everything I ever wished for and I'm about to lose him.