Chapter 71

"Okay?"

"You're not a bad person. I know that. I believe that.
"I know it because I saw it again today as I have for most of the days that I've known you. She tore you to shreds in front of your best friend and your boyfriend, and you just took it. Not only that: you understood that her pain was just attempting to produce more pain and you forgave that on the spot. I am not any less in love with you than when we first met, Princess. You're still too kind for those beautiful eyes of yours."

I look at him for a while, perplexed before dissolving afresh. The sobs are uncontrollable and once again, Aden cushions my head to his chest. I don't need to explain anything or bring witnesses. Aden knows me, and I love that feeling. I feel seen.

"I don't deserve you

"I don't deserve you. I don't know what I'd do without you. How are you so-"

"Understanding?"

I nod.

"I know better than most what it is to be painted by a foreign brush. It's not a fair assessment that she made of your character - not yours and definitely not hers."

"Please don't say mean things about her right now. I don't want to go into any of that."

"That's not what I meant. I suspect that her attack today was from deeply frozen rage thawing. It has nothing to do with you and it has nothing to do with the person she probably is beneath all that hatred either. But, Princess, please distance yourself from her growing pains.
"It is true that one day the good person in her will emerge, but a lot of forgiveness from multiple parties will be needed before any such event. Don't get caught in the crossfire that'll happen before that day."

I nod, understanding.

"Come here."

His voice is barely audible, but his arms are wide open

His voice is barely audible, but his arms are wide open. I shift and let him embrace me. He is so kind to me. I'm not sure I deserve it, especially after the things Tonya said. Some of those things were true - horrifyingly true.

We agree to continue watching Beauty and The Briefcase, so Aden tucks us in with the fluffy white duvet. Somewhere along the line, he asks to lie on my lap and the next thing I know, he's fast asleep on me.