Chapter 6

It's been two weeks since the Lune Quartz concert, and I can safely say that within that short amount of time, I have managed to fuck up my future.

Just eleven days ago, Nancy had asked Olive and I to join her and my father in the kitchen. Her straightforwardness and brevity were commendable really.

"Well, I called you guys here because you need to know of a big change for all of us moving forward. I lost my job a few days ago. As you guys know, I worked with Mr Stevens for over ten years, and well, there's no good way of saying this but he's in jail now, okay? Don't worry; I'm completely innocent, but money might be a little tight for a while.

"I'm going to be attending night school but also working as an assistant for the next year or so."

"You won't be home anymore?" asked Olive.

"No, but Cakes will walk you to and from school."

"I can walk myself."

"That's fine with me. But listen, I still haven't finished. The other thing is your brother is coming home. We can't afford to keep him in Lakeview anymore."

I remember immediately feeling queasy.

"No, Oliver needs to be there. You can't bring him back."

Nancy looked over at my father.

"We can't afford to pay for both your schools and Lakeview, Sweetie. We even considered transferring you two to Little Feld High."

"Not fucking North-western! Sorry, but don't you have a college fund? Use that."

"That's saved up for you." said Nancy.

I instantly knew what I needed to do as the eldest sister. I couldn't let my siblings pay for some asshole's fuck-ups.

"I'll find another way, guys. I promise. Don't move Oliver. His treatment is almost over."

Nancy seemed unconvinced.

"Dad, tell her it's okay." I insisted.

"I don't want to go to Little Feld."

I ignored Olive's comment. I have more reasons than her to not want to go to North-western. I stared down my father until he shrugged, glancing at Nancy's stony expression before deciding.

"Uh, we'll think about it."

I left the kitchen feeling victorious. I really shouldn't have. I've already applied for seven scholarships, and all of them warned me that as a Caucasian middle-class girl coming from a two-parent home, my chances are slim to non-existent. I've been in such a panic for the past few days, wracking my brain for a solution, but I have nothing. That is - until today.

I've spent the better part of lunch whining to Danatha about my situation when Sybil arrives.

"Don't come any closer, Tweedy. She's still sucking the joy out of the only hour we have to relax."

I swat her as Sybil sits down, wiggling her nose, unbothered but for the powder on the sharp cheekbones she's determined to conceal.

"I'm actually here to end your misery."

"Unless you have an idea for funding my education-"

"How's the Lune Quartz Student Aid Programme for you?"

"They have one? Since when?"

"I remember seeing it when I was buying the tickets back in June."

"Oh, wow. But I still wouldn't get it. Same issues apply. I'm a Caucasian-"

"She's right." says Danatha.