Chapter 44

As the date of Aden's arrival approaches, we slip back into our daily routine. I'm comforted by his voice, but there's something missing - even with the promise of seeing him again. But I only realise what's been amiss three weeks later - days before we're supposed to meet.

"Hey, are you there?" he asks.

"Yeah, I am. Just tell me you're still going to New York."

"That came out of left field."

"Say it."

"I'll be there. I was going to thank you for the perfume bottle, but never mind."

"Oh, it finally arrived

"Oh, it finally arrived."

The bottle of perfume I sent to Aden weeks ago; I guess it got lost among other fan-mail.

"Good thing you sent it. I was quite upset when your hoodie started smelling like my suitcase."

"Aden, are you sure of what you're offering me?" The question slips out before I can think it over. But it is how I really feel after all. "How much time are you really spending with me?"

"I came to New York to see you. Who else would I be spending my time with?"

"Doesn't Brighid Temani live in New York?"

"

What has this got to do with her?"

"Are you really going to pretend that you never went on several dates with her?"

"I should have known this would happen. Switch off your google alerts of me, McKay. Now."

"I don't have any!"

I snap, but of course, I do, even though I don't need to. All social media platforms always post about him.

"We'll meet during weekends."

"And weeks are in New York, right?"

"McKay, I'll be working. I'll work full days, five days a week."

Wow, he clearly doesn't care if I know about him and Brighid or not. So why should I?

"I don't care. You know what you do with your time."

"So, what? You don't trust me anymore?"

"And when have you ever given me reason to trust you?"

Aden simmers over the line.

"How about the daily calls I make to you? Do you really think there's anyone else who gets that from me? Not even my own mother gets that. I reserve my free time for you and you still don't believe I want you."

"I believe you want me, but I don't believe I'm all you want. I wouldn't be surprised if you flaked."

"Good, we're back to no expectations?"

"I expect you to be faithful."

"And I expect you to not be so insecure and be grateful that-"

"Grateful?! You always think you're so special for making time for me."

"McKay, stop. You're going to say something you don't mean."

"I mean every word when I say that I won't demand anything from you, but you can't blame me when I feel some type of way about it. I didn't grow up in a vacuum, Aden. I know what real relationships look like."

"So, ours isn't real?"

"The fact that I'm not sure reveals something, doesn't it?"

"I don't care what you say. When I get to you, I'll prove to you how real we are."

"I should go."

"Call me tomorrow."

"You're going to order me to come in a better mood too?"

"You're still my girlfriend; that's why we'll talk. If you don't want me anymore, let me know."

I hang up immediately because I was about to let him know. I really need to cool down.

The only reason I need to go to New York now is to find out who can help me get that damn scholarship. I'm getting something out of this - no matter what. If it wasn't for that I would be done.

I can only hope for Aden's redemption. His romance has always been something I can count on. I'm sure he'll find a way to make this trip otherwise, somewhat worthwhile.