Chapter 9

Seconds pass with the cold night kissing me instead of Aden.

"I'm not going to kiss you."

This time, the bitter burn of rejection slithers down my heated throat

This time, the bitter burn of rejection slithers down my heated throat. My eyes water as they try to search his. Why are they so empty - devoid of emotion?

"Ha."

I blink a few times, looking down before clearing my throat.

"I don't want to lead you on."

I frown, amazed at his obtuseness.

"You're doing a stellar job of it too."

"McKay-"

"Are you even attracted to me? Because I'm starting to think you've been lying this whole time." I burst, feeling slighted.

"I can't get involved with anyone right now."

"With who? Do I know her?"

"Yeah, funny."

"Is there a reason why you flirted with me back in Cleveland; or was it all a game to you? Ugh, of course it was."

"Look, I didn't mean to upset you. It's just some light-hearted fun, right?"

"No!" I shake my head, unbelieving. "It's my fault. I allowed myself to feel special after you flirted with me back in Cleveland and that was my bad. Now I even feel silly for-"

"Is that why you're so hell-bent on kissing me? To go tell your friends that you kissed Aden Arrington?"

"How the hell did you even come to that conclusion?"

"That's what most fans want."

"I have a feeling that even if I tell you that it's not like that, you still won't believe me."

"You're right; I won't. I know girls like-"

"Like me? Really?! Listen here..."

Turmoil coupled with anger bubbles inside of me. But all the anger dissipates once he quirks his eyebrow. What would usually be a physical show of inquisition, in this case is nothing more than an illusion.

I doubt Aden Arrington cares about what I think or want. He's in his own world, spinning his own narrative around our encounters.

That's why I can be honest with him - precisely because I'll never see him again after tonight, and he'll never care about anything that I do or say from now on. But at the same time, I'm not ready to tell him the truth of why I'm here. So, I run with the first excuse that comes to mind.

"I feel silly because the other guys, your crew and my best friend now think we're having a thing and guess who's going to be humiliated once they figure out-"

"And who the hell is going to tell them that we aren't?"

"It'll be obvious."

"Easy." he interrupts as his arms circle my waist to hold me close.

I instantly hold in my breath and search his eyes, falling into a dream-like state where the batting of his lashes are soft lulls to me.

I'm forced to place my hands between us, and they land either side of the tooth necklace on his chest, which is nothing short of warm and welcoming. His touch instantly makes me forget why I was attempting to seduce him in the first place.

"Oh," is all I can say.

If I'd known that excuse would have gotten me in Aden's arms, I must admit, I would have used it sooner. He watches me for a while, stoic in the darkness.

"To be clear, I'd be doing you a favour." he leers as I grin. "And I hope you understand that kissing is off the table."

"And I hope...you know I'm done begging for your kisses." I answer cheekily, swaying closer to him still, making him smile.

It is the sweetest of smiles

It is the sweetest of smiles. I just want to...

But then I hear a lot of movement behind us. Without slipping out of Aden's arms, I look back to see the other guys, Danatha and a few other crew members head over to the smallest van in the lot.

"Hey, love-turds! We're hitting the carnival; you coming?" yells Jude as Danatha playfully swats his arm.

Aden looks down at me and I nod, so he gives Jude a thumbs up followed by a middle finger making them all laugh.

We file into the van and sit on the floor where I can only assume equipment had been a few minutes before. I instinctively lift Aden's arm and put it around my waist, so I can cuddle into him. I'm rewarded with a sweet kiss against my temple. I'm glad we're on the same pretend game page.

Everyone is talking, but all I'm focusing on is the feel of Aden's chest under my hand. When he laughs, it hums, sending warmth all down my body. The thin, silky material of his shirt is soft to the touch, making my strokes on it feel incredibly sensual. I like being near him more than anticipated.

When the van stops, we offload and head straight through the wrought iron gates of the venue. I'm still glued to Aden when a hand goes on his shoulder.

"Are you playing with us?"

It's Callisto.

"Oh, I..."

He looks behind him and trails off. I follow his gaze and see a man in his early twenties, dressed in all black - including ill-fitting jeans - only offset by silver chains, heading towards us.

His voice is gruff when he addresses Aden.

"Lighter?"

"No, you playing?"

He drags me along with his conversation.

"Yeah, I think I'll go for a smoke first. Tavares has been working my last nerve, I'm telling you."

He glances my way, reminding Aden of who is melded to his side.

"Oh, this is McKay."

"Is it?"

His amused smile leaves me disoriented as Callisto bursts out into laughter.