Chapter 26

“I’m going to tell you something funny, but please don’t think I’m weird or anything.”

His eyes remain trained on my face, sincere.

“You know,” I snort, giggling. “The day I met you, something strange happened. I saw a comet. I was so mesmerized that I didn’t notice the huge crowd of VIP fans heading towards me. But because of that comet, I ended up backstage. Because of that comet, I met you in the red room.
“And now that I think about it, it pretty much sums up who you are to me: a huge star-like entity that came out of nowhere and lit up my sky; like a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You’re my one and only Aden – for all that that means. And it means a lot. So yes, I do think we were meant to meet. Not that it changes anything.”

I hold in my breath, trying to keep my eye on a bird flying towards us. I guess I didn’t expect to be so apprehensive about his reaction.

“Nothing might have changed for you, but that changes everything for me.”

I freeze. Still, Aden insists are snapping out me out of my stupor.

“Look at me.”

I turn my head to face him.

“If there’s a reason we met, then that’s all the more reason to stay together. You’re not doing me a favour anymore, Princess.” He smiles, entrancing me. “It was meant to be like this. And if it was destiny for me to hold you here in my arms, then I’m more than happy to comply. Aren’t you?”

My mouth hangs open. How did he come up with the perfect response to such a heartfelt confession? Aden Arrington is so romantic. His words are so sweet, and his gesture warms my heart, like when he sent me Fondue. I smile widely.

A part of me wants to react like a normal person and tell him to not take himself so seriously, but I’m not normal when it comes to him. I love him. So, hearing him say he wants to stay with me is a dream come true. There’s only one thing standing in our way now.

“Do you ever wish you could have a normal life?” I ask, still reticent to be too overtaken by joy.

All the while, Aden takes his time before answering.

“No, not really. I am who I am. I can’t imagine being anyone else.” When I remain silent, he probes. “Did you think I would want a different life?”

“Maybe. Some celebrities fantasize about it.”

He shakes his head, still on my shoulder.

“McKay?”

“Yes, Fondue?”

He smiles, leaning in to say softly in my ear.

“I’m blessed to be doing what I love. Plus, it’s a journey that led me to you.”

“That’s just a lucky coincidence.”
I grin wryly as he laughs and cuddles me closer.

“More like a series of lucky coincidences.”

“I thought you didn’t believe in those.”

“I didn’t believe in many things until I met you.”

“Well, that’s incredibly cheese and also: mind keeping your beliefs to yourself?” I tease.

“Why would I? WORLD!”

“Saying it where no one can hear you – smart.”

“My entire world is right here.” My heart seems to skip a beat at his words while he nuzzles my cheek. “My favourite series of lucky coincidences.”