Chapter 16

I wake up 20 minutes later and dial his number several times, but they all go to voicemail. I try to go back to sleep but it's impossible. I stay up for as long as I can with Olive, braiding her pigtails, then let her go to bed. I end up opening the envelope alone, before my parents can arrive and wind me up about it.

Great

Great. Another rejection. Ugh. Maybe it's time I search for alternatives. After all, what are the odds that I'll get the fourth, fifth or seventh one?

I hear my father arrive with Nancy and hear them have dinner, oblivious to me being awake. Even with my lights off and the severe drowsiness keeping me in bed, my eyes still won't be held shut. I really need something good to happen today.

I need Aden

I need Aden. But my phone refuses to ring again. Just as much. I was so awful to him and I regret it. I guess I'm going to be punished for it until tomorrow morning. But then finally, Aden calls.

"My brain won't bother to shut off until I speak to you."

Aden is quiet and when he responds, his voice is solemn. He sounds exhausted.

"You need to rest for tomorrow."

"Aden?"

"Hmm?"

"I'm sorry about what I said. I should never have spoken to you like that. You didn't deserve-"

"I'm afraid you were correct."

"I was, but I still owe you an apology."

"I'm the one who owes you one. I shouldn't have played games with you or entertained you for that matter - especially since you were so kind to me. I should have let you go."

"I don't regret that - mortified as I was at the time."

"But I do. I led you on because I was enjoying myself, ignoring the fact that you'd probably end up hurt in the end."

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

His silence is potent, but not enough to make me quit.

"Aden."