Chapter 20

Six-month anniversary – that’s what’s written on my calendar for today.

I have been dating Aden Arrington from Lune Quartz for six months. I can hardly believe it. It seems to be such a huge chunk of my life and boy did it feel long – but not substantial. What the fuck is going on with my life?

“Why am I having a long-distance relationship with an insanely rich pop star who could easily be cheating on me?” I say to myself, but since Danatha is sitting right across from me, she throws her empty juice box at me, which obviously still drips onto my skirt anyway.

“Stop it. You deserve to be with him as much as any other girl in this world.”

“But does he deserve me?”

I sense Sybil’s head abandoning her textbook and turning towards me.

“What the hell is going on? Did he do something?” asks Danatha.

“Besides offer me the most lacklustre six-month excuse for a relationship? No.” I shrug, lost in thought.

“I know you don’t believe that.” Sybil’s saccharine voice sounds.

I don’t rebuff her comment. I’m too lost in my own morose musings. Clear green eyes float right in front of me. They’re so far away – so elusive.

This all started because of a scholarship, but all I can think now is of how dense I was being.

Six months, within which I assumed we were dating, have passed and not once has he said he’d come to Cleveland again. It doesn’t matter whether I want him or the scholarship; either way, I’m failing miserably.

“She’s just being dramatic.”

“Tonya.” I say her name in recognition.

“Snap out of it, dude. Boohoo, McKay has a famous boyfriend; how unfortunate for her.”

I turn to her, taking in the shaded desert dune hue of her skin in the afternoon sun. She’s just as arid. There’s no use in saying anything to her, or anyone for that matter.

I stumble away from the table, dragging my backpack with me, as rage laces my veins

I stumble away from the table, dragging my backpack with me, as rage laces my veins. I hate her on days like this; I really do. She is insufferable.
Danatha follows me, but I’m not stopping for anyone.

“Excuse me from everything, please.”

I’m already jogging down the stairs and heading straight for the main gate, when I see Zeke in the corner of my eye. As if he senses me, he turns and smiles.

“Hey, I was just going to call you…” he stutters.

I don’t even register his expression. My vision is too hazy.

“I’m so tired.” I randomly say.

I’m not even sure of what I’m saying or why for that matter. I walk straight onto the street, distinctly hearing a loud honk and a vague call from Zeke.