Chapter 8

When he finally speaks, it's in an incredibly low tone.

"I would have bet good money that I'd never see you again."

"Huh. Me too."

"Maybe if I had kissed you like you asked, you wouldn't be here, stalking me." he smirks.

"I only came here to support my friend." I lie.

"Oh, really? Alright. Let's head inside."

Wait, what? No

Wait, what? No. I can't use Danatha's tactics in front of her - or anybody else for that matter. We need to stay outside.

I rush to intercept him, and my hands fall on his forearms. I lift my eyes just as he lifts his. Expectations, a question and a dare, all wrapped up in his emerald gaze, make me bulk and immediately let go of him, gulping.

"You're the one who provoked that situation between us."

"And you liked it." he shrugs.

"So what if I did? At least I can own up to it."

"I had my fun - which you ruined last minute by the way."

"I'm here now. But I bet you won't even lift a finger."

"Now you think I don't want you?"

"No. You want me. I know you want to kiss me." I try to stay myself.

Confidence is key - at least that's what Danatha always says

"Let me tell you something. If I kiss you, you are going to fall head over heels in love with me."

I'm not quite sure if time stopped, but it feels like I'm trapped in his gaze for eons and all I have to show for it is a dry mouth.

"What? You got a potion on your lips?"

"Hmm, I've got the entire universe right there."

I move closer to him and take his necklaces in my hand, admiring them, then smoothly transitioning my gaze upwards, letting our attentions collide and merge. Aden waits, then sighs, stepping back.

"Look, don't get me wrong. You're one of the sweetest girls I've ever met. But... I'm afraid I don't have much of a sweet tooth."

"No? Don't I make you hard?"

His sharp intake of breath tells me all I need to know.

"Come on, McKay. You're too innocent for me."

"For some guys, that's the ultimate fantasy."

He hovers over me, but then he moves away again just as quickly, raking his hand through his hair before meeting my eyes again.

"Like I said, I don't have much of a sweet tooth."

"You've got me all wrong, Aden. My sweetness is always paired with just the right amount of tartness."

I step forward to breathe in his air as I hold his attention with my honey-laden words while his eyes bore into me. This time he's mine. I know it.

"Here..." I say. "Taste me."