Chapter 37

The look he's giving me sends shivers down my spine. Oh, no. Does he know about the scholarship? Is that why he left me? No, he can't know. Right, I was going to be honest before he distracted me. Let's stick to that and see if he knows. I shimmy my arm out of his grip and look up at him.

"I want to move on; forget about you. But I'm afraid I'll never be able to if you don't do what I asked you to the very first day we met."

"A kiss?"

"Yes, a kiss."

"I want to move on too and I don't think I will if I kiss you."

"Oh." I look down again, embarrassed. "That's okay then.

"Look, I don't know why you're crying, but I don't want you to suffer or carry any more pain than you have to. I refuse to add to it so, it's fine. I'll leave without your kiss."

I start backing away, but as I try to turn, my hand is picked up and my body slams back into his. I gasp in surprise.

"You would never intentionally hurt me."

"Never." I confirm, and so he lets go.

"McKay, I'm not well."

"You seemed fine when you were with Nina."

I can see on his face that my rebuttal is far from appreciated. So I decide to focus on him. He hurt me, but that doesn't mean I should turn my back on him when he needs my help and comfort.

"Why aren't you well?"

"I'm empty. There's nothing that gets me out of bed or makes me happy in my life."

"That's a large statement."

"It's an enormous guilt."

"For hurting me?" He glances over at me. "I mean, why?"

"You hurt me too. You do know that, right?"

"I don't. You never told me, and God knows you never let it show. But, forget all that. Is there anything..."

"I'm afraid there's nothing I can do."

"There is always something that can be done."

"McKay."

"I'm not even sure I should be here for this. But maybe the key here is not focussing on your happiness, but on the happiness of others."

"I should help someone else?"

I nod before turning to leave him.

This time, he doesn't stop me.

I return to the book signing and when Danatha has had all her copies signed, we go outside to catch a cab back to the hotel. I am more than ready to relax. But then, Trudy comes through the door with two gym bags slung on either arm.