Chapter 53

I don't even know what I'm doing. I try to think of my next move. I should probably get my things from the hotel and book a ticket home. Trying to calm down, I tell the driver where I need to be. I rush into the lobby when I arrive, bumping straight into Yves.

"Whoa, watch it runaway bride."

It's not his words that make tears trail down my cheeks. It's his easy-going manner that would have felt nice half an hour ago. I throw up my hands, defeated, but smiling at how stupid my demise must look from the outside.

 I throw up my hands, defeated, but smiling at how stupid my demise must look from the outside

Yves face falls immediately.

"He did something, didn't he?"

"I need to get my things."

But the minute I say those words, I know I can't do it. I am too emotionally crippled to walk back into anything that carries Aden's signature scent. Yves grabs my shoulders.

"It's going to be okay. Have a seat." He ushers me to one of the benches. "I'll get your things."

I nod, so he heads off into the elevator. I fully expect myself to burst into tears, but I'm dried up inside, like a squeezed raisin. Yves reappears, and I haven't made a peep. He tells me he has the key card to the suite Aden booked for us. He sees my face and reassures me that he'll get the receptionist to change the room for me.

Oddly, I'm very comforted by Yves. We get another cab, and he offers to hold me. Again, I think I'm bound to cry, but I don't. I lie in his arms and stare out into the busy night. Some of those people are as in love as I was an hour ago. Others are as heartbroken as I am. I'm not special. I'm a dot in this world - in his world.

The receptionist is graceful enough to switch out my room. Yves takes my bag upstairs, with me trailing behind him barefoot - shoes in hand. I throw away the lifting comb in my hair and uncinch the contraption keeping my hair away from my face.

Yves books me a ticket online and hands me the receipt.

"Alright, I should go check up on him - see if he hasn't beat anybody to a pulp yet."

I flinch. So, Yves knows of Aden's violent ways.

He didn't hit me, but he hurt me physically nonetheless. I waited so long to have his kiss and when I got it, it was heaven. Tonight, was the first time I didn't want to kiss him back - the first time his touch disgusted me.

Yves comes to give me a hug goodnight and I hold on for too long. He's kind enough to hold onto me. He is so giving. He not only takes care of Aden, but now he's taking care of me. He's a good guy.

When he moves away, I grab his arm and plant a kiss on his lips. I'm not even sure why I'm doing it. His kiss doesn't feel like anything even though I desperately want it to be magic - like what I have - had - with Aden. He immediately pulls away from me, albeit gently.

"You shouldn't do that. I know you're eighteen, but I still don't feel okay-"

"I-"

"And you're Aden's... Aden's... He loves you."

"Don't say his name!" I yell, instantly regretting it. "I'm sorry. It's so easy with you. I mean, you're so good-"

"You don't know that. You don't know me."

Oh, Aden. How beautiful he had been the day I met him. Now he is as ugly as every other guy I've turned away.

"Yes, you come with baggage - but I'll take a child over Aden's wild mood swings any day."

"What did you say?! Don't speak about Kelly. He's not baggage. He is a gift to anybody that gets to be near him."

Yves face shows me who's the true monster in the room in that moment.

"I didn't mean it like that."

"I should go

"I should go. I'm sure you can get yourself to the bus station tomorrow. Goodnight."

"Wait, Yves! He..." I can barely say the words. "I don't know how to explain it well, but he kissed me when I told him not to and he bit my lip so hard, that it bled. Cleveland was bad, but it was accident. This time he hurt me because he wanted to and I-"

"McKay, I'm sorry he did that to you, and you can be certain I'll reprimand him for it, but I can't be here or look at you right now. You might judge him for repeating his mistakes, but you just repeated the mistake he made tonight. You can't expect me to-"

"Okay; go. And I'm sorry."

Yves closes the door behind him.

That's when I breakdown. Not only do I hate Aden, but myself too. We're two horrible people who won't quit hurting the people who are nothing but good to us.