Chapter 52

I assess Brighid’s demeanour. She’s obviously very flirty. She’s in amazing shape too; her black high-waisted leather booty shorts really show that off. She moves closer to Aden so they’re centimetres apart. His smile in return is tight.

I walk towards them and the minute Aden sees me, he scrambles for my arm and pulls me to his side.

“McKay, Brighid. Brighid, this is McKay – my girlfriend.”

She looks me up and down curiously.

“Nice to meet you.”

I don’t even open my mouth when I give her a smile.

“I thought you didn’t exist.”

She bats her lashes, annoyed, as if they should fan me away from her.

“And now you know better.”

“You’re the one who should know better

“You’re the one who should know better.” She titters, making me angry.

“God. How many times do I have to reject you for you to get the message?” I’m stunned into silence. “I don’t want you!”

The people around us begin to listen in, their eyes inadvertently looking our way despite them trying to act like they hear nothing. Brighid is a ghost.

“Do me a favour and stay out of my inbox from now on. You’ll only be embarrassing yourself.”

“Aden, enough.” I whisper.

“I–” Brighid tries, but Aden interrupts her.

“I’m with her. I love her, so stop trying. What we have is organic – but you wouldn’t know anything about that, would you? Maybe if you stopped being so desperate, you’d get someone to actually like you.”

“Aden.” I clutch him when I see tears in Brighid’s eyes, demanding his attention. “Stop. You’re hurting her now.”

“I can’t just stand here and watch her taunt you.”

“You don’t have to put her down to make me feel special.” I turn to her. “Could you give us a minute? I’m sorry about what he said.”

She closes her trembling lips and spins on her heel, leaving.

“Come on, let’s go to the bar.”

I grab Aden and pull him to the least populated area of the room at the moment, since it’s mostly servers picking up more drinks there. I take two for both of us off the tray of a passing server and dunk mine in one go.

“You shouldn’t have done that. Imagine if someone spoke to me that way.”

“You’re not some desperate–”

“You’re forgetting that I’m the girl who had to beg you for a kiss not once, not twice, not even three times. I begged you to kiss me four times. If that’s not the definition of desperate then I don’t know what is.”