Chapter 58

When I wake, I remember that that's not what Aden wants from me. He doesn't want my love anymore. How can I give him my body today? I know I said I'd do it, but can I really survive having him inside of me for now, only to lose him later? Can I survive not having him then losing him all the same? I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

 How can I give him my body today? I know I said I'd do it, but can I really survive having him inside of me for now, only to lose him later? Can I survive not having him then losing him all the same? I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't

I look back at his beautiful sleeping face. I need to get out of here, now. My emotions are bursting open and I'm powerless to control them. I did promise Danatha that I'd show up at school today to cheer her on during her last rehearsal for her tango show tomorrow. But an hour later, she finds me with my face burrowed in my locker instead.

"Kay?"

"What's up? I was looking for you all..."

I put my hand in pretending to rummage for something as if I didn't spend all that time pacing around, thinking about Aden.

"Kay; up! Look at me."

She snaps her fingers which startles me enough to turn to her and let my tears fall unchecked.

"Kay..."

"I'm fine."

"Tell that to your face."

"I don't want to cry," I say, wiping my tears. "Please don't make me."

"But you-"

"Danatha; please."

She opens her mouth only to be interrupted by my ringtone. I remove the phone from my bag and pick up.

"Sweetcakes, great. I need you to go drop off some of our baking goods at your aunt's house this afternoon. You're there now, aren't you?"

"No, I'm in town."

"You said you would be coming home occasionally. Aren't you ever going to come? Because even your aunt commented on your sudden absence. She says she didn't see you the whole day."

I roll my eyes. Of course, Nancy forgot about my excuse. But at least she won't look for me if I do what she wants now.

"I'll be there at two. Is that alright? Then I'm staying at Tonya's."

"That's perfect. Got to go, baby, mwah."

When the bell rings for my last class to end, I head home to fetch the baking supplies. When I get to Leona's, I'm surprised to find her, for the first time, dressed in formal clothing. She looks sharp in her black and white dress. She even busted out the famous black lace gloves - an upgrade from the clothes she wears when promoting things on Instagram.

I hug her quickly and she immediately signals for me to follow her in.

"Leave them there. You need to assess me for makeup damage control."

I watch her apply a layer of foundation after spritzing her face and I'm impressed anew. Aunt Leona has always been one of those timeless beauties. She knows as much and uses her height to attract men of the same stature - daring men.