Chapter 35

Three weeks later and I'm no better. I often lose focus in the classroom or zone out of conversations I'm having with my friends because my mind has an Aden-shaped sinkhole, where I go to wallow in the vacuum he left behind. I miss talking to him so much.

At night, I blink until I realise I can't sleep because my brain knows something that was supposed to be done during the day, wasn't done

At night, I blink until I realise I can't sleep because my brain knows something that was supposed to be done during the day, wasn't done. I do my best to block him out, but I'm not a phone. There's nothing automatic about the process of healing from a wound like that. And with time, I even start to blame myself for what happened. I know I'm not solely to blame, but that doesn't alleviate the load on my shoulders.

One Friday afternoon, I enter my room to study after eating lunch with Olive, when Danatha shows up at the door. I let her in and we go to my room for privacy.

"I have something to ask you, and please remember that you can say no at any moment.
"It's about Aden."

"What about him?" I swallow

"Well, Jude invited me to go to California. He wants me to meet George R.R. Martin. I can't pass it up and-"

"Finish."

"I need you to come with, but Aden is also a huge Game of Thrones fan so it's unlikely that he'll miss the meet and greet Jude's inviting me to."

"You don't need me."

My voice is flat, but my heart is clamouring in my chest. Will this be the last chance I ever get to see Aden again? But what if he hasn't forgiven me? How will I survive the trip when he's mad at me?

Plus, I doubt I still stand a chance to win that damn scholarship. I had forgotten it so easily once he had arrived in Cleveland (actually, long before that) and then when my heart was broken. But in retrospect, I would never have pulled it off. I love him. I can't use him like that. All in all, I have no reason to go to Cali.

"Please, Kay. I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate."

"But-"

"He's my literary hero. You know that."

"I told you, you don't need me."

"If I go alone, I might be inclined to do things that would stay in California. Please do this for me."

"No, you can't hold that over me."

She stops for a while, gauging my reaction.

"Wow, he really did a number on you, huh?"

"You don't know how it feels." I mutter, staring at my hands on my lap. "You don't know what it's like to feel that no one understands you, and then a miracle happens only to turn out to not be a miracle at all - but a curse."

"Kay."

"I can't see him now! I don't want to! I thought I'd be over him by now, but I think about him every day and every freaking night. Do you really think it's a good idea to thrust me into his presence right now?"

"Calm down. I'm sorry." She sighs and gets up. "Look, I am always here to support you in whatever you need - especially when your heart is broken. But you'd be going for me and I'd be going with you. I'm still going to be your best friend there. I can still hold you."

"I don't know, Danny."

"Think about it

"Think about it. You know if this was you, I wouldn't bat a lash."

Dammit, she's right. I know Danatha - she would. The reason she's my best friend is because I know I can depend on her for anything. How dare I love

her for that and not reciprocate her loyalty and selflessness?

"Okay, I'll come with." I agree before I can back out.