Chapter 13

I wander around for a while

I wander around for a while. The rosy scent of one of the attached perfume bottles is enticing and sweet - feminine. I try to read the post-it notes stuck to the trunk of the tree from the bottom up.

Vera, my love
Tonight, I saw a shooting star and I knew you were here with me.

Vera, my love
Where's the wine?

Vera
Where did you go, my love?

I tear up. I have no idea who this person is, but I can feel the tremendous affection they have for this woman.

Roaming around her things calms me eventually. When I look around, I see Aden on the other side, holding up a letter so he can read it. Wow. The new-born sun rays infiltrate the veil that is his hair and highlights small sections of it, rendering him a truly beautiful view.

A few instants in and Aden looks up - probably feeling watched. My eyes fall into his. My lips part inadvertently - I need more air in my lungs if I'm going to be caught in the maze that is his focused regard.

"You were crying."

"She's so loved. I can't imagine being loved like this or loving like this."

"You've never been in love?"

"Have you?"

He nods.

"I don't think I'm ready to feel something like this - not right now."

"Maybe she's only loved now."

"Taken for granted in life?"

Yes, that's very common. People never tell their loved ones that they love them in life - much less show them. I look ahead and watch the sun rise on Aden's face. The only sound is the whooshing of the breeze around us and the clinking of the acrylic shards hitting one another.

Varying colours dance on his skin due to the reflective pieces of glass everywhere and the light paints his irises shades subtle in their difference every couple of seconds. I wouldn't miss this for the world. This moment makes everything I've done so far worth it.

"I don't want to take these moments with you for granted." I say.

Aden, only momentarily hesitating, extends his hand and I take it, stepping forward into his embrace where I can inspect the kaleidoscope of specks invading his eyes up close. He holds my chin between his thumb and index finger - pulling it and slowly caressing my bottom lip.

"Neither do I."

He moves back to slide down against the trunk of the tree, collecting post-it notes on his back and gesturing for me to sit on his lap

He moves back to slide down against the trunk of the tree, collecting post-it notes on his back and gesturing for me to sit on his lap. I surprisingly don't even hesitate to once again straddle him. I trust him - the jury's still out on whether that's naïve of me or not.

My hands smooth his hair as I stare his face some more. He holds mine between his palms, then passes them over the skin on my neck so they converge on top of my chest. It's when his hands lay there that I realise I'm breathless, causing his hands to go up and down.

He circles the sides of the globes before lowering his head and smooching one breast. I have never known that expanse of skin to be that sensitive. And when his hair tickles the area he just set afire, I shiver in his arms.

"Was it clear that when I said no kissing, I meant on the lips only?"

I nod, giggling. I want him too - so much. I've been kissed and more, but I've never been touched the way he's touching me. I never knew it could be so pleasurable - if not more when done well - like now. Does he even know what he's doing to me? If his working neck is anything to go by - he knows.

"Kiss me again." I ask. "And don't tell me you don't have a sweet tooth because I bet you do." I add when he doesn't move.

But Aden continues to stare at me unashamedly, his head tilted.

"Hold still. That sunlight on your lashes is only photographable in my head."

I melt as his eyes express a wonder unlike any I've encountered before. He thinks I'm beautiful. Wow. When he said it under the moon, it was mere words. Now his words hint at a true sentiment. His gaze is the only confirmation necessary.

"I told you to hold still. Now I have to stop for this..." He touches my chest again. "All because you won't quit tormenting me."

"Don't resist me then."

The sigh he gives is going to be in all my future wet dreams. His head dips and his lips press down on the pulse of my neck as my digits mindlessly write on his body.

"So sweet," he murmurs, breathless against my lips; his forehead pressed to mine.

"Just enough to get you hooked, huh?" I smirk, and he chuckles under his breath.

"Not enough."

We're so close

We're so close. Our lips touch and we wait; I'm not sure for what. I'm incredibly tempted by the plumpness of his lips right against mine.

"It has to be." I say, shutting my lids.

"You don't want to want this, I get it. But it's too late for that now. You already do. I know you do."

I finally pull away from him.

"You're not wrong."

Aden's reaction is swift.

"So now you're the one playing games. Huh. I really should've seen it coming with you, I swear to God." he snaps.