Chapter 7

"Jake, you made it. The party's over." she says in the most condescending manner possible, but I'm not even focused on her anymore.

I'm giddy at the sight of the only person who could possibly put me in contact with Aden Arrington. I quickly try to come up with a way to bring up the topic and the favour I want to ask of him. Meanwhile, he's shrugging off Tonya's snarky comment.

"I know. I was busy. I actually only swung by to give you this chocolate bar as an apology."

"You owe me the entire fucking chocolate factory."

"I saw you guys in VIP, so it couldn't have been that bad. My tickets would have put you at the very edge of the stadium."

"That was luck and nothing else."

I cough sweetly, which makes Tonya roll her eyes.

"Luck and McKay over here."

"McKay?"

"Yes, pleasure to finally meet you, Jake."

I shake his hand, trembling and sweating.

"McKay McKenzie?"

"Yes?"

Tonya and I exchange confused glances.

"The famous McKay? Aden will not shut up about you. Did you guys fuck or something?"

Holy shit! He's been thinking and more importantly, talking about me? I can't bring myself to believe it.

"No, we didn't."

"Oh, so you're texting then?"

"No, I never even got his number."

I laugh nervously, hoping he'll catch on to where I'm directing the conversation.

"I kid you not; he never stops talking about you."

Okay, it's now or never.

"Do you think you could give me his number?"

"Oh, no..." My stomach drops. "I'll do you one better. I'm crossing states to go deliver a contract. You want me to take you to the house they're staying in for their Detroit concert?"

"What? That would be insane!"

"Relax. It's only one night and I drive you back tomorrow."

I'm laughing with him when my thoughts give me pause. I unconsciously mutter my worries out loud.

"Shit, my parents are going to kill me first."

"How would they know? You can tell them you're sleeping here at Tonya's. Oh, wanna come?" he asks her.

"No, but I'll cover for you as an apology." She offers, briefly frowning.

It's bizarrely kind of her to do this for me.