Chapter 72

All hell breaks loose once JD shoves Aden. Aden only staggers a bit but reaches out to push JD away. That's when the first punch is thrown. I shout after them as they jostle out the door and Aden punches JD's jaw. We all run out, shouting for them to stop.

Eventually Antwan manages to get between them. But by then, there's a clear bruise on Aden's cheek and JD is wiping blood away from his mouth.
JD turns to a stone-faced Danatha.

We all watch in silence as she stares him down. The motion of their eyes is the only indication that they are having a non-verbal conversation. Eventually, Danatha turns and moves into the dark night. JD doesn't even look back. He trails after her, limping.

Aden walks up to me. The image of him is waves as tears fill my eyes.

"I can't believe you."

"Oh, here we go again

"Oh, here we go again." Tonya says.

"Excuse me?" I blink tears away.

"You are so predictable. You're really going to stand there and shout at him when all of this is your fault?"

"What?"

Aden holds my waist to keep me in place.

"Who the hell introduced Jude to Danatha?"

"You're not even making sense. We were both with her when they met."

"She never would have seen him again if you hadn't gone after Aden for-"

"STOP IT!" I shake in despair. Aden can't know. "It was your idea in the first place."

"Even if I give you that, you still knew how she felt about Jude after you two came back from Detroit."

"Enough!" yells Sybil. "I have neighbours."

Once we're inside, I go to confront Tonya once again when the doorbell sounds. Sybil strolls over to get it and finds a very brutish Cassidy on the other side.

"Where is she? Where's Amanda?"

Amanda jumps up and rushes to see that Cassidy doesn't enter, but it's too late. Cassidy marches in, heading straight for Tonya.

"What did you say to her?"

"Hey! I'm right here." says Amanda. "You want to say something, say it to me."

"Alright. How stupid can you be? She humiliated you multiple times-"

"Hold the hell on. How did you even know I was here?"

"Her Snaps."

"You haven't checked on me or cared about me for the longest time. What are you doing here?"

"I know we're not close anymore, but I'm not going to leave you in the pits with a snake. That's what she is. She's poison-"

"Please leave, Cass."