Twenty-Nine: The Competition †

Start from the beginning

Managing to lap some of the people who were last on my fifth lap, my breathing was soon becoming ragged. I was exhaling too deeply due to the fact my heart was racing in my throat which was constricting. That didn't help. I felt like my legs were turning to jelly. I nearly fell over after lapping some people, landing on my ankle funny but I powered through it.

The girl from the other college had managed to bypass Ruby so now she was in third place. Verity was still holding the place of fifth, protecting her grounds as I was now on my finishing lap. Everything was riding on this now so I had to make sure I was making people proud. The girl in second place was only half a lap behind me now and soon she'd be overtaking me if I didn't amplify my speed.

Only three quarters of the lap to go. She was still half a lap behind me.

Two thirds of the lap to go. The gap was closing.

Half the lap to go. She was a quarter of a lap behind me.

I came round the terminating corner and sprinted as quickly as I could down the home straight. The girl was still jogging quickly round the corner when I was half way down the home straight. It was sealed and secure that I would come in first position now. Coach Kate was even cheering me on from the sidelines, clapping her hands.

Still coming down the home straight, I sneaked a peek at Jason in the stands. He was standing up like everyone else, Lea by his side. Lea's eyes were on Ruby who was trying to hold onto her place as third whilst Jason was screaming my name. Now that statements gives out misinterpretations, I mused amusingly to myself.

I ran back to adjudicator who sounded the horn to signal I'd finished. I ambled off the track into the middle by the table and doubled over, my hands grasping my knees tightly. My chest was rising and falling theatrically. I lifted my head to see the other girl coming in second. She made her way to me after finishing.

"You're quick," she breathed. "I wasn't expecting that."

I smiled. "Thanks." I paused. "You're really good, you know."

She scoffed teasingly. "Not as good as you." With bright orange hair, a pierced nose and a fully-pierced ear, she shook my hand. She was several inches taller than me and had bright emerald eyes. She also wore similar clothes to me. But at this close distance, I managed to detect the scar on her chin.

"Thanks again."

The girl nodded and we both began to make our way to the table where they'd collect the data. There were several people noting down the times for everyone in a particular order and one man told me my time. I had to go to the table to inform the judges of my time.

"Eight minutes, three seconds," I replied. Not my best, perhaps.

When the race finished, I found Verity. She had managed to come in fourth place in the end, right behind Ruby who lagged behind a lot. Since the event finished for that specific one, it was now time for the male's event. I found my parents at the side of the stands while Verity did the same.

"You did wonderful!" Mom sang. "Amazing! Great! You make us so proud," she purred, pulling my arm in and embracing me in a bone-crushing hug.

"Mum, Mum, you're killing me here," I replied, breathless.

"Susan, she can't breathe," Dad joked, "and she still has one more race."

"You're right," she replied, pulling back at once. She ruffled with my hair for a little bit. "I noticed you had your haircut. Do you have enough money left? We came with a little extra."

I waved my hand in the air. "Mum, not the time." I chuckled. "We can discuss this later." They weren't going home right away, but they weren't staying for too long. They would leave tomorrow afternoon considering they had to work.