Elevator

It's a pretty normal day at work. Your job at the record label requires a lot of hard work and not much pay but you're thankful anyway.

"Y/N!" You hear your boss call from his office and you internally sigh, counting that as the 4th time he's called for you since you've been in for 2 hours. Smoothing down your hair, you open his office door and plaster on a smile.

It's not like you don't like him, you're thankful for the opportunities he's given you, but he's just so demanding. You're not his assistant but you sure are treated like it.

"Yes sir?" You stand in the door way, eager to leave.

"I've got a meeting with some execs and an artist in half an hour, could you go and grab me a coffee and some lunch before I go in? Take my card and don't forget receipts." He doesn't take his eyes off the computer screen he's working at and points to his desk, where his credit card sits.

You nod, picking the card and turning to walk out. You collect your coat and phone before making your way to the elevator. The office is located on the top floor of a high rise building in the city, you hate the elevator as your claustrophobia is a bitch but you hate taking 25 flights of stairs even more.

Pressing the button, you idly wait for elevator. You check your phone and read a message as the door ding open. You see a pair of shoes inside already and you don't have the energy to be polite at the moment.

The doors slide shut and there's a moment of awkward silence. The elevator makes a screeching sound and comes to an abrupt halt, making you jerk forward onto the person next to you.

"Sorry." You mumble, not making eye contact.

"It's all good." He reaches and presses a button, whilst he's not looking, you sneak a glance a practically faint.

It's Shawn Mendes. You are in an elevator with Shawn freaking Mendes.

He keeps pressing the buttons but nothing happens. He frowns and glances at you.

"Looks like it's stuck."

Oh, so now you're stuck in an elevator with Shawn Mendes. Could be a great situation if your claustrophobia and anxiety wasn't already bad today.

"Are you sure?" You ask, slightly irritably. You really don't need this today.

"If you wanna try then be my guest, but nothing's working. Not even the emergency button." Shawn steps back, letting you look at the panel of buttons. You press and hold the bell but nothing happens. You press it again, a little more frustrated this time.

"God damn it." You grit your teeth and smack the whole panel with your fist. You see Shawn's eyes widen in the reflection of the mirror and you internally smack yourself in the face. Great, now you look like a crazy lady.

You can feel yourself starting to sweat, a side effect of claustrophobia and you fan yourself with your phone. Although it's Autumn outside a slightly chilly, the elevator is like a metal sauna.

"You good?" Shawn asks, one eyebrow raised. You nod, not trusting your voice.

"What's your name?"

"Y/N." You sigh.

"Don't worry Y/N, I'm sure we'll be out in no time." Shawn says cheerfully and you crack a small smile.

"Sorry, I'm just feeling a little stressed."

"Claustrophobia?"

"Exactly." You check your phone but realise you have no service.

"Do you have service?"

Shawn digs his phone out of his jean pocket and checks.

"Nope."

"Fuck."

"Don't panic, I'm due in a meeting in 15 minutes, I'm sure they'll notice when I'm not there."

You nod, trying to be rational. He's right, they'll know something's wrong when he doesn't show up. Plus, other people in the building are probably trying to get in the elevator too. They'll notice that it's stuck, report it and you'll be out in no time.

"So Y/N, do you work here?" Shawn leans against the wall, hands in his pockets as he smiles at you.

"Yeah, I work in the label, just doing admin stuff."

"You like it?"

"Yeah, it's good."

Shawn nods and you sense the awkward silence creeping in. You're not totally sure what to say.

"How's your tour been? You just finished right?"

Shawn perks up, smiling as he tells you about his North American tour to promote his new album. You weren't on the campaign, but you saw a lot of what happened behind the scenes and it looked awesome.

You fall into easy chat about the city and life on the road. Shawn tells you crazy stories about the roadies and his management and you find yourself enjoying his company. He has the sweetest smile and such a nice personality.

Glancing at your phone, you see that it's been 25 minutes and nothing has happened. You feel your anxiety creeping back in, what if no one ever finds you?

Shawn sees you beginning to panic again.

"Should we try the button again?"

You nod as Shawn press and holds the button with the bell on it. You wait with baited breath and chew your fingernail anxiously. After what seems like an eternity, a static sound crackles through the speaker.

"Hi, this is reception, Anna speaking. How may I help you?"

So the elevator is connected to reception, you never knew that. Huh, learn something new everyday.

"Hi yes. I'm Shawn Mendes and I'm here with Y/N, we're stuck in the elevator."

"Oh." There's a pause and you're worried that you've been cut off.

"Hold for a second please."

Shawn looks at you and grins. Your anxiety dissolves a little.

"Hi Shawn, it's Andrew, do you know which floor you're stuck on."

"No idea. We've been here for about 30 minutes, the button wouldn't work earlier and there's no service so we couldn't contact anyone."

"No worries, we'll get you out soon."

"Great, thanks Andrew."

The connection ends and you let out a relieved sigh.

"Thank God."

You realise that might have sounded rude, so you back track.

"Not that I haven't enjoyed your company, you're a- a great person and all- but I- uh, I have-" You stumble over your words and feel your cheeks warming up.

Shawn laughs.

"I've enjoyed your company too Y/N, how about we get together another day, without any elevators?"

"That sounds great." You grin and hand your phone to Shawn to put his number in.