Dare

"Dare!"

You yell, laughing at the group of your friends around you. Loud music plays in the living room, people mill around, dancing, drinking, making out. It's a proper house party and you're loving it.

Your bestie, Lacey, arches her brow, a smug grin stretches across her cheeks. You're sitting in a small circle, 6 of you in total and somehow you all ended up playing truth or dare.

"I dare you..."

You're expecting a lame dare like chug your drink or give one of the guys a lap dance. Lacey is super uninventive when it comes to dares, not that you care that much anyway.

 "to kiss Shawn."

Earlier that day:

Your phone chimes, as you apply some mascara to your lashes, indicating you have a new text and you pick it up, briefly pausing in your makeup routine and swiping the message open.

Shawn's coming tonight, so wear your best or better, nothing at all ;)

Lacey is hosting a killer house party for her birthday and she's invited basically everyone you know in the neighborhood. Including your long time crush: Shawn Mendes. 

Before he was an international superstar, Shawn was just the kid across the road who always loved to mess around and ride bikes with you. He was the funny, cheeky guy, laughing when you tripped up but then checking that you were okay. He cared about you and you him.

You'd always had a soft spot for him and you were insanely proud of him for achieving his dream, but you two had drifted a bit as you grew up. 

Shawn's been away for the best part of a year, touring, making music, selling out stadiums and you haven't actually seen him for so long that you're nervous about tonight.

Your heart does a little jolt in your chest as you re-read the message. Shawn's actually coming tonight. You begin to panic about your outfit, your hair, your nails and you want to slap yourself for worrying about such trivial things.

He probably won't even notice. You remind yourself, he's had beautiful celebrity girlfriends, he won't even take a second glance at me.

Trying not to put a downer on the night before you've even arrived, you blast some music to brighten your mood, but you can't shake off the nervous butterflies in your stomach. 

Shawn's going to be there. Shawn, the guy you've had a crush on since 3rd grade. The guy who pretended to blow a magic kiss on your knee when you fell off your bike. The guy who told you that your cheating ex wasn't worth your tears. 

The guy who you're in love with.

It feels like a punch to the stomach; the realization that you're definitely in love with him. 

Damn, the party is not going to be easy.

You have some pre-drinks before you leave your house, since Lacey lives only a few blocks away, you decide to walk and that way you can down a couple of shots to calm your nerves.

To be honest though, you're a wreck. You stumble to the party and giggle to yourself as you trip over the edge of the sidewalk. Strong hands grab your forearms to steady you and you grin up at the kind stranger.

Your smile dies on your lips as you stare into his hazel eyes, illuminated by the streetlights. It's been a while but you'd remember those eyes anywhere.

"Y/N." He says softly and you take a deep breath, your heart is beating double time in your chest and your stomach is doing all kinds of somersaults. He's actually here.