C159. Faces in Marquis Ningyuan's Mansion (3)

On the rosewood round peony carving table placed lots of dishes. A trayful of steaming hot stuffed buns was set out in the center, around which were the red bean maize flour steamed cakes, the goose grease fried rice balls with sweet bean paste, the four-colored green onion flavored steamed bread rolls, the fried dough twist and the jujube paste Chinese yam cake. There were also two kinds of porridge on the small table by the side, which were the millet pumpkin porridge of sweet flavor and the mushroom chicken porridge of salty flavor.

Minglan had an appetite immediately. However, she had to keep reminding herself that she was in her husband's family now and should pay attention to her manners.

Old Madam Qin took a seat at first. As she looked around, she asked with a smile, "Where is Tingcan? Her sisters-in-law were already here. Why doesn't she come out?"

Mama Xiang who was serving the porridge right now turned around and answered, "Seventh Lady said that she would have breakfast with Lady Xian and Young Master. She will visit Second Madam when she comes back."

Madam Shao sat beside Old Madam Qin with a faint smile on her face, saying, "I'm so grateful for Seventh Sister-In-law that she could accompany Xianjie'er these days."

Zhu shi, having pulled Minglan to sit down with her together, was asking softly what kind of porridge Minglan liked. Hearing that, Zhu shi grinned and said, "Our Seventh Sister-In-Law has the best temper among us. She's respectful, filial and likes kids a lot. I wonder which lucky guy will marry her in the future!"

Old Madam Qin scolded lightly, "Don't talk rubbish. You are letting your Second Sister-In-Law laugh at you."

As Minglan took over the mushroom chicken porridge and smelt the faint scent, she chuckled and said, "Old Madam, please don't say that. I have already heard that Seventh Lady's literary talent ranks the top among all the ladies in the capital. Today I finally acknowledge that not only does Sister Tingcan have a talent in literature, she's also a kind-hearted and virtuous lady. Those qualities are so precious." Minglan hadn't made up those compliments. Once she had heard Lianjie'er and Molan quarreling with each other. At that time, Lianjie'er had exclaimed loudly, "My Seventh Aunt in Marquis Ningyuan's mansion is so much better than you in poetry and painting!"

Old Madam Qin showed a pleasant look while saying, "Don't spoil her with those flattery words! She's still an innocent girl!"

Minglan lowered her head with a smile and started to eat her breakfast. When she ate her salty and fresh porridge together with the fried dough twist and the fried rice balls, she just felt her mouth was full of tasty smell.

If Minglan hadn't remembered wrong, this Lady Tingcan was actually a few months older than her. Normally, a lady from a noble family which had settled in the capital for a long time would already get engaged. Why hadn't Lady Tingcan been betrothed to a man yet? If she had to mourn for the last emperor, delaying a year of her marriage already seemed quite fair. However, it seemed that Gu's family hadn't even pick a family for Lady Tingcan yet.

There was only one reason. Those families which had been chosen before had been through too many changes. Some looked down upon Gu's family, the others were looked down upon by Gu's family. During the two to three years when the last Emperor had died and the new Emperor had ascended the throne, more than half of the noble families in the capital had been involved in the mutiny cases. Therefore, it was not strange to see the noble families experiencing violent ups and downs.

When eating, do not converse. When in bed, do not speak. Gu Tingye was not able to follow the latter rule but his step-mother did carry out the former one. Old Madam Qin didn't utter a single word during the rest of the time of their meal. After all the women had finished eating, the maids came in succession with basins, jars, cups and handkerchiefs. Minglan washed herself and rinsed her mouth. Then she started to sip the tea slowly.