C24 - The Arbitrator of the War of Roses

The next morning Minglan could not teach Changdong because Rulan and Molan had woken up early and secretly entered the study area. Minglan felt the situation wasn't right, so she quietly gave Danju a wink. Danju understood and went to tell Changdong, who was waiting, that there would be no lessons today.

Molan came first, acting coy for almost half the day. After praising every single thing in Minglan's study, she finally stated her true purpose - wanting to change seats with Minglan. Minglan played the fool and asked, "Huh? Wasn't Fourth Older Sister sitting beside the left wall? You said that since it was shady it was perfect for you, whose body is too weak for frequent contact with sunlight. It made you dizzy."

It did, in fact, make her dizzy. Later Old Madam Sheng tried to find a piece of white cotton yarn to cover the school windows for her benefit.

Molan blushed and whined while keeping quiet about her intentions, when Rulan came. She was more straightforward and asked Minglan for the seat right away, "The middle is too dark, it is much more bright near the window!"

Minglan, amused, deliberately claps her hands and laughingly says, "That's great then, Fourth Older Sister and Fifth Older Sister can simply change places! Fifth Older Sister can be in the bright side of the room, while Fourth Fifth Older Sister can be in the shade and not feel dizzy."

Molan, feeling upset, had an unpleasant expression as she twisted her handkerchief without a word. Rulan did not understand at first. After realizing that Molan also came to change seats, she also had an unpleasant/shocked expression. They looked at each other as though confronting each other. Minglan, innocently, looks at them and says, "I do not mind where I sit, but...which sister should I give my seat to?" Minglan did not know why but she was very happy deep inside.

Molan and Rulan had schemed and calculated inside their mind for half the day before coming to Minglan. But looking at this little child now they felt that their position was weaker than they had thought. If only they had a better excuse, possibly a weaker threat, than the one they used they could have changed seats, but not it was no use. The final conclusion was - no one changes seats.

As time passed, the girls appearance began to change. Molan gradually grew taller, more gracefully, and as delicate as a willow. She only worries a little and have thin hatred. Rulan resembled Wang Shi more and more. Minglan was also no longer a child. Though a little less beautiful than Molan she was also a youthful vigor, yet within the group, only Minglan still looked like a small, fat white bun. Minglan touches her nose and notes the genetics issue. Regardless, it was not her problem.

Also from this day onwards, the three sisters starts to dress up completely differently than their usual.

Atop of Molan's head, there was already a double bun [1] tied with a pair of cora turquoise wax beads, and hanging behind her ear was a fresh magnolia flower. Her dress was embroidered with long branches of green flowers that was forming circles, clearly depicting autumn. Around her wrist was a tender jade bracelet, green as a magnolia, that causes a buzzing sound as she moves since it was wrap around a silk. On the other hand, Rulan had a pair of ring buns and hanging from her hair was a colored butterfly hairpin made out of glass. The cui long beads tassel hanging around her neck shines, perfectly matching her colorful silk skirt. Dangling from her ears was a fine silk string together with big pearls. She looked smart and beautiful, not at all inferior to Molan.

Both Molan and Rulan dressed elegantly and delicately, while not being bland.

Minglan had few distinctions, in this fortunate morning, the wise Cui Mama combed her hair and bundled to make two buns on each side of her head, then wrapped it with some coral beads - it looked very cute.