C117. I Won't Accept Her as Your Concubine or Maid (1)

He Hongwen wore a torn dark black cotton coat, travel-worn and weary. He made a bow to Old Madam Sheng who asked him to sit down and had servants serve him tea. Minglan stood beside her grandmother without saying a word.

"Hongwen, you are much stronger." Old Madam Sheng looked at He Hongwen with a smile and continued, "And your skin is tanned."

He Hongwen raised his eyes and met Minglan's clear and bright eyes. The girl standing gracefully erect looked more beautiful than before. He blushed and lowered his head. "This time I went out with my uncles. From this journey, I knew many rare medicinal materials and the rules of drug market. I have benefited a lot from it."

Old Madam Sheng slightly nodded, "A man should stand on his own feet. You have done a good job. Your grandmother has told me that you have got a position in Imperial Hospital. Congratulations!"

He Hongwen wore a look of shyness and replied respectfully, "Thanks to my uncles, I set foot in Imperial Hospital. But... In my opinion, I should enrich my experience by going out and working as a doctor among the common people. Different from other professions, doctors need more knowledge and experience."

Old Madam Sheng nodded repeatedly in approval and gave a gentle smile. "You are a sensible, intelligent young man. And you can bear hardships and stand hard work. Your grandmother will be proud of you." She paused and suddenly changed the subject, "It was hot some time ago. But now, it turns cold sharply. I hear that your mother is not feeling well, so I have prepared something for her. Take it with you when you leave."

Fang Mama immediately asked maids to lift up a box full of precious medicinal materials, a roll of rare red silk cloth and a roll of rare satin with a mermaid pattern, and showed it to him. He Hongwen's heart sank. Over the years, Old Madam Sheng had always accepted his presents with pleasure and never stood on ceremony. In return, she had only sent more gifts to the He family during Spring Festival. But today... He Hongwen raised her eyes and looked cautiously at Old Madam Sheng who seemed as friendly as before. Since she said nothing about the Cao family, He Hongwen had no chance to say anything.

He had learned from the letter that Cao family had returned to the capital and Aunt Cao wanted him to marry Cousin Jinxiu. His mother had indeed tried to make Cao Jinxiu his wife in the first place. But things changed and now He Hongwen firmly believed that he would marry Minglan. In the past few years Sheng family and He family had had frequent contacts with each other and seemed to acquiesce in the marriage. He Hongwen was a well-behaved young man, simple and honest by nature. Surely, he didn't want to change his mind. However, a few days later he received a letter again from his mother. The letter said that Cousin Jinxiu was willing to be his concubine but didn't mention what had happened, which made him very confused.

After a short chat, Old Madam Sheng said that she was tired. He Hongwen stood up and excused himself. Old Madam Sheng said casually, "Minglan, go and see him off."

He Hongwen's eyes lit up. He respectfully said goodbye to Old Madam Sheng and obediently left with his head bowed. Minglan made a curtsy to her grandmother, turned around with a smile and walked out with He Hongwen. Dangju and Xiaotao followed them. They walked along the cobbled path outside the Hall of Peaceful Ages towards the front gate of the Sheng Mansion.

After a long hesitation, He Hongwen finally asked, "... Sister Minglan, how are you these days?"

Minglan smiled, "I'm fine. Last time you sent some pills used for clearing away the heart-fire to my grandmother. She liked your gift. I also took 2 pills. They are sweet and delicious."

The girl's voice was soft and tender. He Hongwen breathed a sigh of relief and laughed loudly, "I know you hate bitter pills, so I added many liquorice and plums to counter the bitter taste. If you like them, I will send you some more next year."