C102. A Safe Way of Promotion for Military Officers (2)

Minglan standing beside Old Madam Sheng with her head bowed answered modestly, "Brother Changwu, it's an important matter for you. You'd better decide for yourself or ask Uncle for help. Grandmother, Uncle, Aunt are all here. I'm just a young girl. How can I air my opinion in front of elders?"

Sheng Wei said gently, "Niece, just speak out. Your sisters and you went to school with Changbai in your childhood. Teacher Zhuang is an erudite scholar. As his student, you must have an analytical mind. So, please get to the point."

Sheng Wei had engaged in trade for more than twenty years. He was pretty good at establishing good relations with government and also knew something about factions in official circles and relationships among aristocratic families. But he knew nothing about affairs of national defense and administration. If Minglan hadn't asked those pointed questions, he might not have realized how serious the present situation outside was.

However, he shouldn't be blamed for his ignorance. There were no Internet and any widespread postings of military history in this age. Besides, he hadn't taken history lessons in a junior middle school or a senior middle school. So in this era of the information-poor, Sheng Wei, an ordinary businessman, and the women in inner mansion couldn't know much about the current events.

Old Madam Sheng slightly nodded to Minglan, which gave her the courage to speak frankly. She took a few steps forward and thought for a while before saying, "Brother Changwu, I understand your feelings. You are afraid of losing the opportunity to serve our country. But just think what will happen on your way to the capital. You will travel through Anhui, Jiangsu, Henan, Shandong and Shanxi. Burglars and bandits probably have set out to kill, burn and loot. Brother, you can't arrive in the capital safely without soldiers to help you, even if you take the retainers and local militiamen."

Li shi nodded repeatedly and said, "Minglan is quite right. Changwu, that's what I'm worried about."

Changwu felt unwilling yet to give up his idea, "If I disguise myself as a commoner and follow civilians to ride along the trails to the capital, maybe I won't encounter evildoers, right?"

Minglan nodded, "Yes, probably." Li shi's face suddenly changed. Changwu was delighted to hear that but Minglan instantly poured cold water on his enthusiasm, "But are you sure that you can make contributions and be promoted?"

Changwu was confused by her words.

Minglan took a few steps towards the brass brazier in the middle of the room to warm herself up and smiled, "After the rebellion broke out in the North of Xinjiang, soon Prince Jing rebelled against the Emperor. Although I don't know whether he acted according to his plan or took advantage of the rebellion in Xinjiang, I'm convinced that he will lead his armies to go north to the capital as soon as possible. As long as he doesn't meet any resistance in Anhui, Jiangsu, Henan, Shandong and Shanxi, he will stand a good chance to capture the capital because it's weakly defended in the capital city and its environs now. In this way, he will win half the battle."

The Emperor had been dissatisfied with Prince Jing's bossy behaviors a long time ago. He had abolished several privileges of Prince Jing, such as mining coal and coining money. Besides, the Emperor also reduced his annual salary and cut down on staff number of his private soldiers. Prince Jing had nursed a grievance and plotted the rebellion for a long time.

'From the point of view of conspiracy theorists, the rebellion in the North of Xinjiang is probably schemed by the Emperor in order to lay a trap for Prince Jing,' Minglan thought to herself but soon threw this ridiculous idea away, 'But it must be impossible. Maybe the reason why I have this absurd idea is that I have read so many illogical novels about military history. Few emperors in the world dare to stir up a rebellion to serve their intrigues and conspiracy.'