76. Shen Chen Mutiny

Minglan was still in bewilderment when recalling the days of the revolt after quite a long time.

It was the fifth day after Third Prince adopted a son, Rulan got a bamboo growing so well that she invited Molan and Minglan for her showing off. Molan, getting tired of Rulan's boasting, began to talk about He family in a rather awkward tone.

"Old Madam He and grandma enjoy years of friendship. It was such an honor that He family sent an invitation yet madam, sister-in-law and you sisters were not available to go, so that only left me and Old Madam." Minglan gave a perfect answer.

Rulan chuckled craftily with her mouth covered and deliberately protracted her voice, "Ohoooo...I see, fourth elder sister was quite busy then."

Molan stared back at her quite indignantly.

According to Old Madam Sheng, the two family were quite pleased with the bride- and bridegroom-to-be, so the match was half decided. However, the marriage of the two elder sisters of Minglan were yet to be decided, so they kept it secret from all except Sheng Hong and Wang shi in case any harsh rumors arose.

Sheng Hong behaved quite like a loving father who nearly investigated everything about He family. After thorough consideration, he nodded in approval, "Though not populous, his family is wealthy. The boy is sensible and capable. Minglan is a blessed one with Old Madam Sheng caring for her."

Wang shi pouted her mouth, "The boy's father died early and his grandfather retired long ago. Only his elder uncle is a sub-prefect (Tongzhi) in a remote place. But his background is enough to match with Minglan."

In fact, Wang shi felt quite envious as though He Hongwen looked common with ordinary background, he was balanced-equipped for a future son-in-law, a wealthy family with official background. Whoever married him could run the household without heavy burden to serve the parents-in-law. Common yet quite economic.

From where Minglan belonged, He Hongwen was the so-called budget husband pursued by many. Sheng Hong went to the Ministry of Works after the conversation while Changbai went to the Imperial Academy.

It was a gloomy day; the sun was nowhere to be found even by the noon. The early winter was unexpectedly hot with the comeback heat of autumn, the air quite sweltering that it drove all in sweats.

In the first quarter of Shen (15:00-16:59), the loud noise of bells resonated through the whole city, the heavy thumping sounds of which frightened all. Then a curfew was imposed and all houses were closed with not a single man on the street. Soliders patrolled every corner of the city and killed anyone suspicious, causing the perish of countless innocent souls in merely a few hours.

All noble and aristocrat families closed their doors waiting anxiously for the end. Wang shi was panicked when Sheng Hong and Changbai didn't make it home by evening. Hai shi managed to stay calm but stared blankly without focus with her pregnant belly.

The whole family was overwhelmed by fright and panic as Sheng Hong and Changbai were missing for three whole days with not a single piece of news about their whereabouts or safety. All females gathered in the Hall of Peaceful Ages waiting anxiously for the unknown. Old Madam Sheng berated with a serious face about their panic as she ordered servants to pry into news.

However, the situation got even tenser that even outings for food and daily supplies were prohibited. Anyone trying a few more arguments for justice would be beheaded on the spot. No valuable information could be gained. The only thing known was that the Imperial Guards controlled the Imperial City with some other soldiers dispatched from Commandery of Five Armies. Old Madam Sheng then privately sent some to get news from Kang Yun'er, only to learn that Changwu also disappeared for days. Unwilling to take shelter in her father's home, Yun'er just stayed in her own house waiting in tears for her husband's safe return.