C90. A Clean Sweep (2)

Concubine Lin sobbed with grievances, "Although I can't go out and take part in madams' social activities, I know that when they choose daughters-in-law, other people's remarks play a more important role in their finally decisions than their own observations do. If Madam put in a good word for Molan, she wouldn't have been despised. Madam, I beg you to help my daughter for Master's sake. It bears on her happiness for a lifetime. Madam, you can scold me or hit me, but just give Molan a hand. I'm willing to kowtow at your feet as long as you help my daughter."

With this she made kowtows to Wang shi. Her forehead repeatedly hit the floor and slowly reddened. Sheng Hong's serious expression softened. Just then Molan regained consciousness and pulled at Concubine Lin's sleeves, crying sorrowfully. They both looked pitiful.

It was the first time Hai shi saw with her own eyes what Concubine Lin truly got. She couldn't help but admire Concubine Lin in mind. No wonder Wang shi hadn't pulled her down after twenty years of struggle. Concubine Lin was really a resourceful woman. She was good at confounding black and white. In this matter, Minglan was the one who suffered a loss. But her explanation was likely to give others a misconception that Molan was wronged.

Hai shi tipped a wink to Liu Kun's wife, who, upon getting it, immediately came up to steady Wang shi and stroke her back gently. She quietly made up her mind not to let Wang shi say a word anymore.

Seeing Sheng Hong wearing a hesitant expression on his face, Hai shi took a few steps forward and bowed to him before she said, "Father, can I say something?" Sheng Hong thought for a few seconds and nodded slowly.

Hai shi first asked maids to help Concubine Lin stand up, and then said gently, "Concubine Lin, as a junior, I have a question to ask you. Can you resolve my confusion?"

Concubine Lin wiped her face with a handkerchief, feeling a bit dazed. Hai shi looked at her quietly and continued, "According to your statements, whenever Molan feels that she's treated unfairly, she can follow her bent to beat and scold her sister, hurt her brother, smash ornaments, and even disobey her legal mother. You mean that, right?"

Just as the words fell from her lips, Sheng Hong was shocked. Concubine Lin also changed her expression.

Hai shi turned to Sheng Hong and said slowly, "Father, though I have only one sister in my family, I know that there must be unfairness among brothers and sisters in the daily interactions. But I know of no one who would make a scene because of this. Even if they just quarrel, they will be laughed at. Only this time Madam didn't ask Molan to accompany the guest, but Molan flew into a rage. She insulted her sister and even tried to disfigure Minglan. If she had succeeded, Minglan's face..."

Sheng Hong's anger slowly faded away, and he regained his clear head. He looked at Molan with disappointment. Concubine Lin was so smart that she immediately perceived a change in his attitude. She was about to say something but Hai shi preempted, "Concubine Lin, just follow your conscience and think about what Madam has done. Since coming to the capital, every time Madam went out, she took Molan with her. As for Minglan, she seldom followed Madam out. Besides, when two families hold a consultation about the marriage of their children, it's surely improper for the girl's parents to beg for a promise. So, how can Madam help your daughter?"

Hai shi's simple words hit the nail on the head. Concubine Lin was not reconciled and said in injured tones, "How about Molan? Her sisters are all promised to sons of noble families. Only she is left forlorn."

Hai shi couldn't help laughing. She covered her smile with a handkerchief and said, "You must be joking! Molan has Old Madam, Master, Madam, brothers and sisters-in-law behind her. How can she be left forlorn? Marriages are made in heaven. Other people's good marriages are the results of their benevolent actions in the previous life. We shouldn't be jealous."