C49 - Happiness Derives from Comparison (2)

Seeing the hairpin that already in her hand was taken back, Yuelan hit the roof, cursing, "Is there anything to do with you while I'm talking to Minglan? What a mean thing you are! Be careful no one dares to marry you!" Then she turned around and smiled to Minglan, "You don't know this. Rich men in a county like ours don't have good staff to buy even with money. I just want to borrow for a few days. Sister, I don't think you'll be that mean, right?"

Pinlan was about to talk back when she was pulled to stop by Minglan who cast a comforting glance at Pinlan and then turned to smile at Yuelan, saying seriously, "Sorry. I'm a mean girl, and I don't want to lend it to you."

Upon finishing, she immediately pulled Pinlan to walk away, leaving Yuelan standing where she was, stunned. Pinlan helped Minglan wear the hairpin and walked to Old Madam, joking and laughing. Yuelan didn't dare to follow up to try further, so she could only stamp her feet hard. Yuelan was used to taking things from others, so her plan had been to sit back in the middle of the hall once the hairpin was in her hand. She mistook Minglan, who had been quiet, as an obedient pushover that would never claim the event to others in order not to lose face and the event would get over after she went back home. To her surprise, ...

Yuelan went back to Third Madam's side when she just knew that the opera on the open stage was about to begin. Most of the ladies and madams already followed Li shi to outdoors, so Yuelan hurriedly followed up with third madam. Sheng Yun and the two old madams had intended to watch the opera but were pestered by Sun's mother. Zhu shi stayed to listen to their talks while Minglan and Pinlan chatted with each other after finding a pair of benches to sit down on.

Sun's mother was gushing volubly about how great her son was to an extreme extent, "...The county magistrate insisted to drink with my son, hoping my son could write the official plaque for him. He was so passionate that my son had no choice but to approve. In my opinion, what a blessing that he can have a plaque written by my son..."

Pinlan couldn't stand the words and leaned to Minglan, whispering to her, "The truth is that her son, our brother-in-law, was drunk and insisted to give county magistrate a plaque. Besides, that dinner was held by my father to discuss issues with county magistrate, but our brother-in-law came without invitation and began to drink a lot and talk nonsense, making my father keep apologizing to county magistrate!"

Minglan was shocked. What a reporter Sun's mother was! She could apply for a position in CNN.

Sun's mother was so intoxicated in praising her son that only after quite long did she finally think of Old Madam Sheng, "I heard that your grandson is also a Xiucai. I'm wondering when he made it?" This was Sun's mother's favorite topic which she never got tired of. Even if others ranked the first in the imperial exam but just at an elder age than her son, she would take the opportunity to brag about it.

Old Madam Sheng smiled a bit, "Fifteen years old." Sun's mother was satisfied, "Wow, my son made it earlier, but yours is still a talented youth." Old Madam Sheng understated with modesty, "Not too talented, but that year in Deng Prefecture, several twelve-year-old students made it to Xiucai."

Sun's mother forced a fake laugh, "That's no big deal. Probably in that year the exam was easy. Not all scholars are necessarily talented."

This sentence annoyed Zhu shi who sat next to her and couldn't help but satirize back, "Speaking of that, your son made it to Xiucai at twelve. I suppose he has attended provincial exams several times. Why isn't he a Juren yet?"

[T/N: Juren "举人" a successful candidate in the imperial examinations at the provincial level in the Ming and Qing dynasties.]

Sun's mother struggled to hold her rage back, "Many tried decades of years. A few years is only normal."