C146. The Discussions About the Dowry (3)

Yuan Wenying knew exactly what her mother was thinking. Then she fell on her knees and persuaded, "Mother, I know you only want the best for me. But mother... just think about it. My aunt (Countess Shoushan) is also a girl from Yuan family. Don't you think she already knows about how many properties we have in our family?! If I bring my second sister-in-law's manor or the silvers which I receive from selling the manor, my aunt will rather despise me because of that!... Ever since my second sister-in-law married into our family, she always treated me like her own sister. Every time she received some good stuffs, she would present them to me first! Mother, if you still do things like before, you will only hurt her feelings! And how can I and my second sister-in-law get along well afterwards?"

Seeing all the people were in favor of Hualan, Madam Yuan couldn't spit a single word as if there was a coptis (Note: a very bitter Chinese medicine) in her mouth.

Welcome to click the external link at the bottom to see all of the updated chapters on Flying Lines.

Yuan Wenshao felt relieved that his sister was still a sensible person. Master Yuan also looked at his daughter delightedly and sighed deeply. Suddenly, he remembered that Yuan Wenshao still had something to do at night. Then Master Yuan winked at his son hurriedly. After making eye contacts with Master Yuan, Yuan Wenshao went out slowly along the door. However, he didn't head toward the front door. Instead, he went straight to the west yard where Hualan stayed.

The moment he stepped into the room, he saw Hualan wearing a half-old green floral brocade cotton coat embroidered with fluff. That brought self-reproach to him. Because he remembered the whole box of the brand-new clothes Hualan had brought here when she had just married to him. But now... Hualan was sitting on the edge of the bed with her elbow resting on the table. Seeing Yuan Wenshao coming in, she said blandly, "It's done?"

Yuan Wenshao nodded.

Hualan smiled bitterly, "It's always the same. Why do we have to stir up those things in our family? I really want to ask our mother what I have done wrong to deserve that! If she really couldn't bear to see me, just write me a divorce letter. And I'll ask to leave by myself to save me from the daily sufferings!" As she was saying, tears were falling down along her cheeks.

Yuan Wenshao stepped forward and held his wife immediately while comforting her in a soft voice, "What nonsense are you talking about! We are going to grow old together! I won't let you go!"

Hualan who had burst into tears said, "Forgive me for being unfilial to our mother. But I have to ask when all of this will stop? I already lost all the silvers in my dowries. Also, the expensive clothes and stuffs in my box were extorted by our mother. Now she even wanted my manor... Mother, what on earth does she want?! Has our family really come to the end of our resources?"

On these words, Hualan fell into her husband's arms with a stream of tear. Yuan Wenshao was also super angry about his mother too. He was well aware about his mother's thought. Actually, Madam Yuan only asked for the manor because she felt herself inferior in front of Hualan since Sheng family was getting more and more prospering lately while Hualan was favored by Master Yuan as well as Yuan Wenshao.

Without knowing what to say, Yuan Wenshao could only comfort his wife with affectionate words. Suddenly, Hualan straightened up from his arms and said loudly with a determined look, "Wenshao, if there's only the two of us, I won't say anything even if we have to eat scanty meals! But... but..." She wept again and said, "But what about our kids! They... they are still too young!"

Seeing his wife almost crying her heart out, Yuan Wenshao also felt as if a knife was piercing his heart. Hualan continued with tears, "Your elder brother will inherit the title. And I don't see any chance your mother would leave any properties to us. How can I not be worried for our children! Last time my mother came, she already got suspicious. I lied to her that I felt comfortable wearing the old clothes. But I couldn't fool her anymore when she saw the shabby clothes Zhuang wore. After she went home, she sent me two pieces of red brocades! It's still reasonable for her to give some presents to her granddaughter. But what if I need her to send something else to help me out in the future? That is like a slap on Yuan family's face!"