C96. Cold Night, River, Leakage and Expose (2)

Dangju was still angry at the old servants' behaviors. But when she heard these words, she hesitated for a moment and asked, "Really? It's a bit cruel." Xiaotao, who followed Che Sanniang to come in, hastened to say, "Dangju, you are too softhearted. Tens of minutes ago when you choked on water and coughed violently, you got quite angry and said firmly that you would punish them severely. But now you seem to forget pain after getting out of danger."

Minglan cast a glance at Dangju who looked shamefaced and said to her maids solemnly, "From this we can see that the gang members are all heroes. If you are not brave, don't join the gang." She flattered Che Sanniang shamelessly.

Che Sanniang burst out laughing. She took Minglan's hand and said kindly, "You are really an interesting girl. I have travelled almost all over our country, but I have never met such an interesting noble lady as you."

"You flattered me," Minglan replied with a blushing face.

A short time later, they heard a peal of heavy footsteps approaching and then saw Shi Keng walking in. His eyes brightened up at the sight of Che Sanniang wearing an indigo-blue embroidered coat with silver streaks and cut designs. He smiled, "Sanniang, you are so beautiful in this dress. I must say that it makes you look much whither and slimmer."

Minglan gaped at Shi Keng and thought that Che Sanniang would be annoyed at his impolite remarks which hinted that she used to be dark-skinned and fat. But Che Sanniang didn't get angry; instead, she smiled, "Tailors make women charming. The dress is beautiful, and with it I look much better." Shi Keng gazed at her carefully and nodded, "Let's go to Tianyi Pavilion and make some new clothes for you after going back. I have enough money to dress you up." Che Sanniang replied with a big smile, "Okay."

Minglan waited till they finished the discussion before she stood up and said respectfully, "Thank you. My maids and I wouldn't have been safe and sound without the help of you two and the other brave fellows of Cao Bang. I sincerely thank you for saving our lives. Now please accept my deepest gratitude." With that she showed respect by tidying up her dress and sleeves and curtsied deeply to them, her knees almost touching the floor. Xiaotao and Dangju also dropped to their knees and kowtowed to the couple.

Shi Keng and Che Sanniang hurried to help them stand up. Shi Keng said repeatedly, "Don't mention it. Don't mention it. Since you are my brother's niece, I treat you as my niece too. So it's my duty to save you."

Minglan gave a few more curtsies to the couple before she stood up. Afraid that Minglan would curtsy again, Che Sanniang quickly changed the subject and asked her husband, "Where is our younger brother?" Shi Keng answered, "Shi Qiang is good at dressing wounds. So I asked him to stay outside and help wounded persons."

At this time, the people on board were very busy. Minglan asked Dangju to go outside and command the servants to tidy up messy rooms in which the pirates had rummaged through. And she also asked Xiaotao to find firewood and boil water to brew up tea. Then she invited the couple to sit down and have a chat with her.

Minglan was a witty talker, forthright in manner. And she always spoke in a modest, gentle and polite voice. So Shi Keng and Che Sanniang relaxed, and soon they were chatting happily as old friends.

Shi Keng was born in a family with a background of gang. His father's generation all worked at the docks. Che Sanniang used to be a fisherwoman. Later a famine broke forth in her hometown. Therefore, she followed her acrobatic teacher to leave the hometown and made a living as a performer. Afterward, she met Shi Keng and married him. Minglan was curious about the anecdotes around the country and listened to them with interest. Xiaotao served them three cups of tea and some pastries. After a sip of tea, Shi Keng carried on telling his story.